Question

sposey2

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 27, 2014
I have a very large chicken egg one of my hens laid. It is double the size of their usual egg size and has vein looking things on the outside of the egg. I do not have a rooster only hens. So there is no chance it has been fertilized egg. Should I be worried?
Thank you.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Nope, no need to worry about possible fertilization. The vein-looking things are simply calcium ridges or malformations in the shell. Sometimes, chickens lay strange eggs like that for no apparent reason. As long as the strange eggs don't become frequent, your chickens are probably fine and you can safely eat their eggs.

So it is just perfectly normal for them to lay odd eggs like this? There is nothing wrong with my chicken or anything? It really worried me. Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:
So it is just perfectly normal for them to lay odd eggs like this? There is nothing wrong with my chicken or anything? It really worried me. Thank you for your feedback!
Yes, occasionally laying abnormal eggs is normal for chickens. Most often they are simply flukes in a hen's laying system, brought on by mild stress or just a natural occurrence. You only need to worry if the strange eggs become more frequent, or your chickens start showing other disease symptoms in combination with the odd eggs. There is one disease, Infectious Bronchitis, which causes frequent misshapen eggs in chickens, along with respiratory symptoms.

Unless the eggs are soft/thin-shelled, abnormal eggs don't mean your hens need more calcium.

Last edited:
Yes, occasionally laying abnormal eggs is normal for chickens. Most often they are simply flukes in a hen's laying system, brought on by mild stress or just a natural occurrence. You only need to worry if the strange eggs become more frequent, or your chickens start showing other disease symptoms in combination with the odd eggs. There is one disease, Infectious Bronchitis, which causes frequent misshapen eggs in chickens, along with respiratory symptoms.

Unless the eggs are soft/thin-shelled, abnormal eggs don't mean your hens need more calcium.

X 2 - "glitches in the system" happen if you think about all that goes into the production of each egg it is easy to see how the occasional oddity comes to pass. All hens can have these glitches occur, it is just not often thought of when you are dealing with eggs you have purchased as the oddities are sorted out and never put into those cartons we grab at the store....so it's easy to fall into the mindset of all eggs being the same size, shape, color and texture when, in reality, that is not the case.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom