1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by albird101, Jan 19, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    So my baby chicks are being shipped whensday and should be here thursday, so I'm going later to buy some chick starter for them, but I had a question I have 8 easter eggers going on there 15th weeks and there surprisingly really small, someone told me I should start them on grower feed already till they lay, so what are your opionions?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    You can keep them on chick starter if you want but I think you would want to put them on grower because they need more protein now that they are feathering out

3. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    thank you

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They need the proteins and energy, so you want to keep them on the starter.
    A grower type feed has less protein than a starter.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    It doesn't matter what the name of the feed is (except layer)

What you want to do is check the protein percentage and calcium percentage.
    20-24% protein is ideal up to about 6 weeks or so, then you can cut back to about 18%. At 12 weeks or so you can cut back to 15%.
    Many people don't have those options. You can start with an 18% start & grow for the duration till beginning layer feed if that's all you have available.

Calcium needs to be about 1% until laying commences then up it to 4% or make sure crushed oyster shell is always available separately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by