question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by albird101, Feb 16, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    I have 3 17 week old easter egger pullets, and 1 easter egger cockerel, the cockerel got his hormones rushing through him and is literally chasing the hens to mate and it's getting to the point were I had to separate him a few times because he chased one over the fence and he flew over the fence to go get her and caught her in the corner and procended to mate her but she was giving in and he was stepping on her and pecking her trying to put her into the positions, when will my pullets start to squat for him? When I pet them they squat down and everything but they never do it for the roo any suggestions? Also when should they start laying there peacock got bigger and there red faces came on

2. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Scratch that there 18 weeks old and will be 19 next saturday, just checked my calender when they were born

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They'll start when they're ready. Cockerels typically "mature" quite a bit sooner than pullets do, and his behavior is pretty normal. When they do finally start squatting for him, you can expect them all to be pretty clumsy about the whole process.
    At that age, you could be seeing eggs soon, it just depends on daylight hours and when the line they were bred from matures. Some of my EEs were early starters, some not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by