Question???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mullers3acers, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    How many times a day should I turn the eggs in the incubator?

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i just had to ask that the other night. they said min. of three.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I like to turn the eggs odd numbers of times, I do 3 times a day, some do 5. My hours to turn vary, but usually around these times, 8 a.m., 2 or 3 p.m. and 11 at night.

4. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    If you know the dates on which the eggs were layed can you still keep putting more eggs in the bator?

5. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I date the eggs I want to incubate up to 10 days here at home for my bators. If I'm shipping out eggs to someone I use the freshest dates so they will go out and be delivered in a 5 to 7 day time frame. That what you mean?

I don't keep putting more eggs in a bator, date your eggs up to 10 days and store in a cool spot and turn them or tilt the cartons 3 times a day to help keep them healthy. When you have the amount of eggs you want then put them in all at once.

I do not do staggered hatches, I don't use the hatchers. meaning you can stagger a hatch and take the ones on the evenings 18 and put them in a hatcher to finish hatching out.

6. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    what % should the humity be at?

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You want to keep your humidity in the 40 to 50 % range for the first 18 days, if it goes lower don't worry. You don't want a high humidity tho, so if that happens just take water back out of the bator.

The last 3 days of incubation you want the range to be 60 to 70%. When the chicks start pipping and hatching the humidity will go up naturally so don't worry.

8. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    These questions may seem stupid but I have been trying to hatch eggs with broody hens and have had no luck. So going back to the bater but only did that once.

9. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your questions are not stupid, everyone has been in your shoes when trying to learn about hatching. It's perfectly normal to have alot of questions. Everyone here will try to help you start in the right direction.

10. mobe_45

mobe_45 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Webster City, Ia
    Quote:My automatic turner turns four tims a day. Hand turning no less than 3x. do not turn at all for last three days. This allows the chick inside to get in position to pip.
    Also, most will agree to not help a chick pip out. You may lose a couple this way but they are almost always defective in some way and don't grow well. I learned this the hard way by helping some out in my first 2 hatches. Every one died or had a major deformity thet they died from later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by