Questionable Advice from Friends?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jomoncon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My first intro to fresh eggs was last summer when my DH's friend started giving us eggs. However, this past winter, their hens were decimated by critters & due to health problems, they decided not to have anymore. So I decided to get my own chickies. Since I knew nothing about raising chickens, I found BYC & have been reading the Learning Center & the forums & have learned quite a lot. The problem comes in when the "friends" decide to give their advice, such as:

You won't get any eggs for 2-3 years.
    Never give the chickens chicken meat or eggs - cooked or raw.
    Chicken coops stink.
    Just bare wood in the coop & bare dirt in the run is fine.
    You don't have to clean up the poop. (Maybe that's why their coop stinks.)

And #1

You've got to have a rooster to have eggs.

I've given up trying to suggest to DH that maybe his friends don't know everything, just cause they had a few chickens. Now, I just say. "Oh, OK." And go about doing whatever I want. I can't wait to present them with a extra dozen eggs when my now 6 week old RIRs get to be 6-7 months old.

I'm just ranting right now, cause the argument yesterday was whether or not to give chickies left over turkey. I finally just said "OK " and waited until he went to work today for them to get the turkey carcass.

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    Quote:

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Well no offence to your friends but you shouldn't be forcing information on your "friends" espiecally if you have no clue what your talking about! Your right there wrong! Nod and smile then do your own thing! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, just show them they're 100% wrong by example. And, they are wrong. As for chicken coops stinking, have you ever smelled a yard full of dogs? [​IMG] My chickens smell like they came out of the clothes dryer after fabric softener compared to most dogs!

5. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Quote:Now I see why your chickens look so bright and fluffy...Downey chcicks!

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My neighbors chicken coop does smell, mine doesnt. She doesnt keep hers clean. I work hard to keep mine clean and smelling good for my girls. I know what you mean about people being misinformed. When we satrted heard all those comments too. I just smile. I had one girl at work ask me if we were going to bring the chickens in the house for winter. Yeah sure Im going to have 28 poop machines in the house with us all winter [​IMG] No really I told her no they have their own house.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Quote:****IF you listen to EVERYONE you will be crazy as a bed-bug.. you have make a decision for your own sake.. Build the largest/most secure coop and run you can afford. Don't over crowd them, feed them the best/well balanced food... and enjoy them..

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Every single bit of advise they gave you was wrong. [​IMG]

But hey, people out here think CAT FOOD is a good source of feed for chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by