Questionable Silkie.....UPDATE more pics week 24

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Here it is again with more feathering coming in...I keep asking because I'm moving back to california and if she is a he then I need to rehome him before then thank you all so much....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Very Curious
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] New head feather growth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I say roo. That's one big comb.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It's probably a hen just because pet quality silkies usually are sexable much earlier than SQ & I think you would be seeing more comb & wattle development if it was a roo.

4. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    There is no comb or wattle or walnut or crowing just girly sounding peeping and some quiet bawking....I would think by this age he'd look more like a he?

5. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Anyone else?

6. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    pullet

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    if there is basically no comb or wattles at this late stage in the game, I go for pullet. Should be crowing by now too. I have a silkie pullet who has a bigger comb but is definitely a girl...and she is only 21 weeks old.

8. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    Hen. That chicken has no comb or wattles to speak of and is 6 months old. I would think that if she were a "he" that some sort of sign would have presented itself by now. I tend to go by the theory of absence of obvious indicators = female. When I am proven wrong by a crow, comb or wattle then I can stick the chick in the roo category but until then all chickens are innocent. [​IMG]

9. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    My vote is female.

10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Thank you everyone so much! She has been sitting in the nest box A LOT more so hopefully an egg soon if not that's okay too she's my only one out of my original 6 to be a hen if she is....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by