Questionable viability in 2 out of 3 eggs under broody. First time hatch, could use your advice!

melissam331

Hatching
Jun 13, 2015
Good morning, Everyone! Here is the background of my question. I'll try to keep this short. :) We are on day 16 of our first hatch with a broody hen. (It's also our first hatch ever) We started with 6 purchased eggs to set under the broody, and have so far identified two clears, and one early death egg so far, and have removed them from the nest. Last night we candled again after hubby said the nest "kinda stinks". (Keeping in mind that a couple days ago, we removed an egg that just started to get sticky from early death and bacterial infection) The one maran egg is the only one that I can identify embryo movement, and all looks and smells normal. The other two are ameraucana eggs, and I could never quite clearly see through them. After a lot of inspection, I could make out what appears to be a detached air cell in one (I only say this because there is an odd shaped area on the side of the egg that shines the light through just as brightly as the air cell on the end). Also, no movement. That is the one that smelled a little fouler. The other egg, I see no movement, but I can see what I think is a silhouette of the embryo, but when I turn the egg, it doesn't kick or move, it just sort of floats with the gravity of the turning egg. I looked for a couple minutes for each egg using a strong LED flashlight in complete darkness. **Now, my question(s). What should I do from here? I'm scared to remove the ameraucana eggs, and learn that they were viable. Also, I'm concerned about what I should do if only one chick is viable. The lady from whom I bought the eggs has offered both fertilized eggs that have been set on by her broodys (and are due soon), or chicks should only one or no chicks hatch. I have no incubator, and none of the other hens are broody. Just curious to hear what you would do. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC, I would allow the hen to complete the incubation, and if necessary purchase additional chicks.

Thank you. I think that is the wisest plan. I checked on the nest tonight, and sure enough, one was cracked and seeping. :( We removed it, and I took out the other ameraucana egg out, candled it, then water candled it, then decided to crack it. There was no movement at all, and the mass just floated around. Sure enough, it was an early death, probably around 9 days. So, we are down to one maran egg. I'm going to candle that one in two days, at 18 days and go from there. I may purchase a couple more chicks to add once mine starts to hatch. I was hoping to add two hens to the flock, so we'll go with 3, and take a gamble. :) Any advice on how to integrate the new chicks?

Back
Top Bottom