Questionbout introducing lone chick to broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmericanMom, Feb 5, 2014.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I had a horrible hatch this week, only one chick survived.. I have a friend that always seems to have broody hens and has one that she was unable to break so the hen has been sitting for a couple weeks on a fake egg.. Gave her the chick last night and she placed it under the hen... she texted me a few hours later and said she had went and checked to make sure she was still with the chick and she was all spread out, when she saw the chick it was panting and thought the hen was going to smother the chick so she took it away... Any thought? Could it be that this 3 day old chick was trying to get out from under her and the hen bore down on it to keep it there? My opinion was that she should put it back but she has a hen set to hatch Saturday and is going to place the baby with her, any thought? Would the baby be to old by then to be placed with newborns?

Edit...Sorry about the header, I couldn't figure out how to edit that!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I don't have any experience with hatching/brooding hens so I'm not going to be much help but I'm just wondering if she left the fake eggs or went ahead and removed them?

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    hmmm not sure, she has worked with broody hens before, but never with introducing a chick.. I'll have to ask her if she took the eggs away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by