1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questioning breed of 2 chixks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambergds, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first chick was sold to me as a black copper maran but does not look like her sister or any images of the breed I can find. Thoughts?

The second two pictures, this chick was sold to me as a silver laced wyendottes and also looks nothing like her sister or any image of the breed I can find.

If you have any idea what breads they are or if maybe they are just not pure bread let me know. Should I confront the hatchery that sold them to me? Thanks

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Hmm, #1 could be a Black sex-link (not sure though) then #2 looks like a Gold laced Wyandotte. Need better pictures to be sure though. Is the Silver laced Wyandotte in any of the pictures?

3. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    Thanks for looking! I'll get some better pictures when I get back from vacation.

4. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I don't know if you can tell but number 1 does have feathered feet.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Then the first one maybe a Maran [​IMG].

6. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I got a little better pictures this morning of those two chicks. They both have a lot of gold in their wing feathers which doesn't seem right for the breeds. If anyone could let me know what they think, I would really appreciate it! Also if you can identify any cocks that would be helpful. They are all supposed to be pulletts.
    [​IMG]
    Black copper maran. Does have feathered feet but a lot of gold in the ends of the wing feathers.
    [​IMG]
    Silver laced wyendotte. Those stripes in wing feathers are very gold. The picture doesn't show the color well.

7. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    Anyone have any ideas? I can get better pictures if needed?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You'll likely have to wait until they're fully feathered.
    the first bird could be a bcm who had parents that carried recessive Wheaten, that can make these brownish looking chicks.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    that may be what happened

10. ambergds

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    That's very helpful thanks! I will see how she feathers out and then decide if I want to keep her. I'm learning if you want purebred you have to be really picky who you buy from. I will never buy from this hatchery again! If anyone in Utah wants to know who it is, im happy to share. I have emailed the hatchery and I'll see what they say.
    Thanks for your help! I was starting to wonder if she was a he since the coloring was so different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by