Questioning if my hen is molting or being broody

byouland

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
For the past 5 days my barred rock hasn't left the nesting box. I thought she was being broody because she hasn't laid any eggs. When I check on her she puffs out her feathers and hides her head. I thought she was egg bound, but now I'm questioning molting. My husband tried taking her out of the nesting box and that when I discovered that her entire underside has no feathers.

I've researched molting but I haven't found where molting affects one area of a hen such as just the belly. Does anyone know if molting is all over or can it just affect one area? I know if a hen is molting they will not lay eggs.

I have made a spot in the coop where she can be safe with plenty of food and water which is still near the other hens. She refuses to leave the nesting box to eat so I have the food inside the box with her. Should I be doing anything else, or should I just be patient with her?

She is definitely broody. They pull out the feathers on their breast to cushion the nest for chicks, and act weird because of hormone changes. There are great threads on what do do about broody hens, so you just have to decide if you mind her broodieness or not.

Last edited:
Should I be worried that she hasn't laid any eggs in 3 days? However as soon as my other hens lay eggs she puts them underneath her. If she is broody I've heard about putting a one day old chick under her at night to help. I'm okay with doing that if she's broody.

Should I be worried that she hasn't laid any eggs in 3 days? However as soon as my other hens lay eggs she puts them underneath her. If she is broody I've heard about putting a one day old chick under her at night to help. I'm okay with doing that if she's broody.
oh yes! She is broody! Don't worry, broody hens will quite laying during this time and steal other hens' eggs. And yes, putting day old chicks under her is a wonderful idea. Just make sure she is serious about being broody.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your comments!!! I feel so much better. I was really getting worried.

If she continues during the weekend I will look into locating some chicks for her.
smile.png

Any recommendations where to buy eggs that are fertilized so my Barred Rock can hatch them? I'm not having any luck around here. I tried to find one day old chicks but I can't locate any either.

She pulled all her feathers from her breast. She's been in her nesting box for 8 days now. She hasn't laid any eggs but steals eggs and sits on them. She doesn't leave the box only to go poop once a day.

Feel the skin on the breast. It will be extremely stretchy. Songbirds and hawks do the same thing.

Feathers in nest are a random assortment of what she could collect within a neck's reach as she constructed nest to her liking.

Give her some golf balls to sit on until you acquire the hatching eggs. That should suppress her egg stealing. You might also break line of site between her nest and locations where other hens lay. If hens laying on top of her then they can be excluded.

Just wanted to give you all an update. I purchased six fertilized eggs for my hen. Unfortunately my hen stepped on one of the eggs, so we have five egg left.
At day 20 (which was June 14, 2014) we had one egg hatch. And two more hatched on June 15th. We are waiting for our 4th egg to hatch. Momma hen is very happy.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom