Questioning when I can let my chicks out with the others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by critters, Mar 19, 2015.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

Been raising chickens for about 5-6 years now but have an old question...
    i have always had babies hatched by the hen so they have took care of them
    for me but this year my fella bought me a bunch of new 'blood' to go into the
    flock. So, I have month old chicks and don't know when I can let them out with
    the big girls and the rooster? ...... since mama hen won't be there I don't want
    them to get hurt .....
    sounds like an easy question but if you don't know, well, you don't know!
    [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If we do not question then how will we learn? :D

At about 6 weeks they should be fully feathered out an do not need heat... at that time, if you can, make a divider in your coop/run so they can be near the flock to 'get to know each other' but not reach so they don't get hurt... after a while when they settle, you can make an opening for the littles to go out with the bigs, but small enough that the bigs can't follow the littles back if they need to escape...

If you can't divide it, then take the littles out during the day when you can supervise and keep them in a crate or cage inside the run for periods of time... when things settle, wire the crate/cage open just enough for the littles to go in and out if they need to...

This will take time, and is just one way of integrating, but it's what works best for me... good luck and hope this helps! :)

3. Pennae

Pennae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Siddha farm, NSW, AUS
    wait until they have all there feathers and then you can let them in the run but i wouldn't let them free range until they are fully grown
    do you free range??

4. critters

Yes I do free range. I have chickens, ducks, guineas and peafowl and those that go up at night free range during the day.
    Guess to make things worse I do not have a 'run'...once the hen house is opened they are in the yard and orchard where we live... Sounds like this might make things a bit harder for them then ??

5. critters

I do have an empty ( for now) 10x10 dog pen right next to the hen house...??...

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Just make them a temporary run, if you can... or use a wire kennel, etc... I made a temp run for some of my chicks out of the wire squares from the 'cube' shelving with plastic connectors, worked great! Good luck!

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Perfect! Got a dog house they can sleep in a night too? Just until they can integrate with the rest totally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by