Questionnaire for sick chicken diagnosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WannabeACFarmer, Oct 31, 2016.

1. WannabeACFarmer

WannabeACFarmer New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    We have a sick chicken and I came across an old thread that referred to a "sticky post" in this forum that had a questionnaire to help identify what we might be dealing with. Is that post still available? (Hen started losing feathers recently and this morning I noticed for the first time that she was cocking her head to the side and appeared to have balance issues.)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @WannabeACFarmer , welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I am have trouble starting a new thread so I hope this is OK to post here. I went to purchase some English buff Orpington hens today and was really looking forward to getting them. They looked and acted healthy. They are 15 months old and finishing a molt. We put them in my cage and set them in the shade while she showed me other chickens and a nice, certified operation. Just after we loaded the cage and repositioned it they started breathing fast and having noisy respirations. No mucous, no odor, no sneeze, cough or other signs of illness. Temp has been in the 80's for days.
    Thinking it was heat and stress related I headed home with them. The first time I checked them they were breathing better. Later after it got cloudy I checked them again and there breathing was worse. I took them back but I don't have any idea what was going on.

What respiratory infections don't have cough, sneeze, mucous, watery eyes or general signs of illness.
    What about cardiac issues? These chickens free range heavily and have scratch and feed available. Is this a breed that has health problems?
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by