Questions about 7 week old girls in the coop freaking out at dusk! Biological clock?? Or something else ?

Dirtroadboho

In the Brooder
May 5, 2022
Hello!
Total newbie here and I need advice!

My coop has the “house” up a small ladder and a large run. Last evening I was a few minutes later to put them in for the night, and I heard them chirping loudly and frantically.. I am assuming that they were ready to go in, since it was almost dark, but couldn’t find their way to inside ( or didn’t understand to go inside). It’s only night 3 in the coop.
My questions are,
1. were they freaking out because they couldn’t find their way in and it was getting dark?
2. Is this something they learn on their own?
3. Do I continue to put them in at night and close the door? They won’t STAY in if I don’t close them in, that’s the problem. So I have to close the door to the run, otherwise they go right back out.
4. Also, This week was very warm. High 80s during the day, low 60s at night. Next week it is dropping down 60/40. Do I need a heat source for them at night?

Thanks so much!!! 🐥🐣

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

1. Probably. Instead of putting them in, work on teaching them to put themselves in by gently herding them up the ramp and through the pop door. But don't try to do it too early. Do it when it's dark enough that they're starting to settle down to sleep.

Also, the ramp might be too steep for them. Photos?

2. Eventually, yes. But best to help them learn.

3. Does your coop have plenty of ventilation? Could you show us pictures of the interior and exterior, including the ventilation?

While chicks need to be taught how to go to roost, chickens ARE reluctant to enter a dark, stuffy, hot, airless space.

4. No, not at all. By this age they're fully-feathered and perfectly capable of handling temperatures down in the 40's or lower as long as they're dry and out of the wind.

Thank you so much ☺️. I am in Souther California. I just happen to have some battery operated sticky lights that have a remote! These I think will work great for that. Ladder may be too steep. I will attach pics. Ventilation possibly is an issue.. since I am blocking the door. But there is a space on top of the coop that supplies a little ventilation. Btw.. their coop does not have a roosting bar inside, I am assuming I should install one?
Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

1. Probably. Instead of putting them in, work on teaching them to put themselves in by gently herding them up the ramp and through the pop door. But don't try to do it too early. Do it when it's dark enough that they're starting to settle down to sleep.

Also, the ramp might be too steep for them. Photos?

2. Eventually, yes. But best to help them learn.

3. Does your coop have plenty of ventilation? Could you show us pictures of the interior and exterior, including the ventilation?

While chicks need to be taught how to go to roost, chickens ARE reluctant to enter a dark, stuffy, hot, airless space.

4. No, not at all. By this age they're fully-feathered and perfectly capable of handling temperatures down in the 40's or lower as long as they're dry and out of the wind.
3ECE542D-5780-4089-B101-8E9874A5E3D6.jpeg
39EF074C-C834-4008-9732-6E4B5A304CD6.jpeg
6E634CC6-2B1C-44FF-B845-6E4E42708EC8.jpeg

Is it possible they caught sight of something that startled them like a snake or mouse? Many great tidbits here already for you
I guess this is possible.. but I didn’t see anything. I’m pretty sure the coop is predator proof.. I couldn’t see any way for something to get inside

In southern California I suggest that you turn the entire coop/run combo into an Open Air coop. You're going to need BIG ventilation because heat is much more of a threat to their wellbeing than cold.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

The ramp is indeed pretty steep. Is that roost in the run higher than the roost in the coop? Chickens like to sleep in the highest possible spot.

A note: That chicken wire is not predator proof. Dogs, raccoons, and coyotes are able to tear right through it. :( Most people use 1/2" hardware cloth for greater security.

Here are some links to Open Air coops for you to look at:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-positive-local-action-coop.72804/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/california-living.68130/

Any photos of inside of the coop? From what I can see the coop is lacking in ventilation and likely natural light, which means the birds won't want to use it. Even in cooler climates there should be 1 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 per bird. In hotter climates, you'd want much more than that.

Since the run space is roofed, consider opening most, if not all, that inside wall so there's ample air flow AND natural light into the coop area.

Agreed that chicken wire is not at all predator proof. 1/2" hardware cloth or welded wire would be a lot safer. If you aren't able to replace/supplement the chicken wire, it's very important that you have a predator proof door to the coop that's closed every night.

Back
Top Bottom