Questions About a Black Bantam Cochin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tractoraholic, Aug 7, 2011.

1. tractoraholic

tractoraholic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hello Everyone,

Hope I am posting in the right form. The other day I bought a Black Cochin to add to my small flock of a Buff Orpington and two Rhode Island Reds. When I bought the Cochin I was under the impression that it was reg size. Its 7-8 weeks old fully feathered and it just seems to be on the small size compaired to my large breeds at that age, which leads me to believe she might be a Bantam Cochin. Now I was hoping for the large breed but this little gal really grew on me, so I am keeping her and not selling her. I dont know much about bantam size breeds except they are small. My questions are; 1.Can she live in the same coop and run as my 3 larger gals or would they peck her because shes so small. 2. Right now she lives in a large dog crate/cage for quarentine and to grow alittle as happy as can be with plenty room to run, fly, scratch around, If she cant live in the coop is it ok if she lives in this large crate, do people cage Bantam breeds? or I was going to add to my run and partition off a area for her to get fresh air during the day and put her in her dog crate at night. 4 whats the adverage size of a bantam hens? Hopefully some of you bantam breed owners can help

Thanks for your time and reading this,

Justin

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    You should be able to incorporate her just fine after quarantine. I have both bantams and Large fowl together for my flock. I suspect you are correct that she is a bantam by your descriptions. I got large Cochins this year and they are huge. They are the biggest of all my chickens. I also got a frizzle Cochin bantam and she smaller than my silkies. By 8 weeks the large fowl were at least the size of a full grown bantam if not bigger.

3. Elphaba2140

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Oh and welcome! [​IMG]

4. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I guess each situation is different, but I also have bantam cochins. Mine live just fine along with my Jersey Giants. JG's are very large! My lil cochins look like babies compaired to them. Mine are free range so I believe that makes a difference. They are not "cooped" up together. I think you should let her out after quarantine and just see how they do together. I would keep a close eye for the first few days. Yes, they will probably peck because that is what they do to establish pecking order. Mine did peck my bantams a few times, and then got bored with it and finally they all settled into thier usual routine. Also, my JG roo is very docile but my hen can be a little mean, but even she tolerates the smaller ones. Hope this helps, someone may have a different experience.

5. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Justin, well congratulations on adding another bird to your flock, and in my oppinion you have added a very nice one at that. You happen to be in luck tho cause she will do just fine adding her into the regular coop just like if she was a standard cochin. Don't worry about her getting picked on cause she is small, she will get the usual new hen welcome from everyone so they can establish the pecking order but once that is over then you can expect them to all live in harmony with one another.

I have a couple small cochins in with my big ones and they actually rule the roost and the big ones are more scared of the bantams than the other way around. What seems to work best for me when I add new ones is to add them to the coop at night and then when they all wake up together in the morning it is like they've always been there and there is very little feuding going one.

Good luck with her, those little bantams have a way of stealing a little part of your heart.

6. tractoraholic

tractoraholic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you all for your replies. Im glad they can live together. Ill see what happens after her quarentine. I did think of one more question. Because she is so small Ive been feeding her crumbles. Do Bantam breeds always have to eat crumbles or can they eat pellets like my big girls. I remember hearing some where that because Bantam breeds are small they cant eat pellets because they will choke. What do you guys use to feed your little bantams?

Thanks,
    Justin

7. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:They can eat pellets just fine. [​IMG]

8. Elphaba2140

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Everybody eats the same stuff here. They will be fine. I even have two new mommies with babies. They are bantam Cornish hens. They have protected the chicks very well and I was worried. Never doubt a mother hen no matter what size. She maneuvers these kids through giant (I am sure it seems like to the babies) pullets and hens and makes sure they get food and water. It all seems so easy and natural. Have fun with you little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by