Questions about a momma hen

tink

Songster
12 Years
May 12, 2007
upstate SC
Hey everyone.....Is there somewhere to go and learn about a sitting hen? Like....do you have to feed her or will she sit the whole time.....How will I know when she is sitting..... Beginner questions...
Thanks Tink

Sitting hens are also called Broody hens...she will ruff up her feathers and not leave a next box if you have her in a coop.....most people place their broodies in a cage with her clutch of eggs... with food and water, she will get up to eat and drink, plus poo....she sits for 21 days or so but will get up during the day for a few minutes to eat and such....There are lots of nice books out there for beginner chicken owners..Storeys publishing makes a few...one of which is called Keep Chickens...

Thanks friends....I will email you with more questions.....Just seems easier to let nature do its thing than trying to get all the ingredients the right temp...turning...enough water......WORK!!

When spring comes.....I will have a talk with my girls!! lol
Thanks again
Tink

Another nice thing about having a broody hen, is that she is very protective of the babies after they hatch. I think that it might be tricky introducing new chicks to a flock without a mom to look after them.

Back
Top Bottom