1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about a momma hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tink, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Hey everyone.....Is there somewhere to go and learn about a sitting hen? Like....do you have to feed her or will she sit the whole time.....How will I know when she is sitting..... Beginner questions...
    Thanks Tink

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sitting hens are also called Broody hens...she will ruff up her feathers and not leave a next box if you have her in a coop.....most people place their broodies in a cage with her clutch of eggs... with food and water, she will get up to eat and drink, plus poo....she sits for 21 days or so but will get up during the day for a few minutes to eat and such....There are lots of nice books out there for beginner chicken owners..Storeys publishing makes a few...one of which is called Keep Chickens...

3. tink

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Thanks

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Broodies are MY thing too!! no bators yet so I have mummas everywhere, feel free to PM me if you need anything! also do a search under broody hen* and youll find lots of info.
    Have fun with her!

5. tink

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Thanks friends....I will email you with more questions.....Just seems easier to let nature do its thing than trying to get all the ingredients the right temp...turning...enough water......WORK!!

When spring comes.....I will have a talk with my girls!! lol
    Thanks again
    Tink

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats ok tink, feel free to post any questions, that is part of the fun, reading all the replies, have fun with her,

7. possumized

possumized New Egg

Dec 23, 2007
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Another nice thing about having a broody hen, is that she is very protective of the babies after they hatch. I think that it might be tricky introducing new chicks to a flock without a mom to look after them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by