1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions about a POL pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melloladies, Jan 14, 2011.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I have a blue rock pullet who has been showing signs of maturing- her wattles and comb have grown considerably over the last month- but no squatting or other laying signs yet. I was told when I got her that she may not lay til spring because of the day length. I don't provide extra light or anything. So my question is... Would a pullet show signs of maturing, and then not lay til spring? Or would the whole process hold off til she was ready to lay? [​IMG]

2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    She would mature at her normal rate of growth (i.e. chicken puberty [​IMG]) but it is very normal to delay her laying until optimal conditions are met, including day length. Even mature laying hens will cease laying during winter as mine have. They were laying like gangbusters but in November the rate dropped and now I get 1-3 eggs per week out of 12 hens that were ALL laying.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Um....I had three pullets that one of the three just started laying in the last two weeks. The one has a much redder comb and I was wondering about her....then she started laying eggs. The other two have not yet. I was very pleased and surprised.....so it can happen.

And my flock of mixed hens are laying....only one day did I get just two. My flock of mixed, there are 13 with two who have not started laying yet, are laying an average of 8 a day.....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Hmmm... I have three "new" layers already. The first girl was about a week before thanksgiving and my latest was about a month ago. The blue girl, and my silkie are the only holdouts so far! I think they are both around 7 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by