1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions about a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smarquis86, Apr 27, 2011.

1. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    hi i have three week old chicks in the brooder right now. I was offered a roo that is 3 months. how hard would it be to bring him into the mix. i know the guy very well and know that all his chickens are very well cared for so im not worried about him being sick. Just wondering what precautions to take when or if this is possible. Thank you

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Ideally he should be housed where he can see and hear the others but not bully or harass them for one to two weeks. Then supervise face to face introduction intervening only if he is too rough with a peck on his head type correction.

Keep in mind that rooster are ready to mate prior to hens and that he will be two months ahead of your girls to begin with, so you are looking at three months (at least) of him pestering the immature hens and them screaming bloody murder about it every time he tries. Not to worry, they will all work it out as they mature.

3. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Thank you for the reply and the good news I will do that and thanks for the warning about the mating.

4. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    With 3 babies now there is a Very good chance of one being a roo......if that were me 2 or 3 would end up boys, that's my luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by