1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about a setting Muskovy: incubating her own eggs and another breed's eggs, and moving to n

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Free Range Mama, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Free Range Mama

Free Range Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi!
    I have a muskovy setting for the first time.
    1. I'd like to move her to a safer spot. Have you ever successfully moved a setting duck? In the night?
    2. She is setting 10 eggs. I have 6 Kayuga eggs I'd like to hatch. I know that Muskovy hatching time is 35 days and Kayuga is 28. Could I slip these 6 under her a week into her incubation period?
    3. Can a muskovy handle 16 eggs? She's a good size.

Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Muscovy's and most ducks don't like to be moved once they have picked out their brooding spot, but if she is at rick of a predator then you really do need to move her. I have successfully moved mine but every duck is different, I had one go broody on some goose eggs so to keep her from being injured by the geese I picked up her nest of eggs and moved her to a large dog crate, inside my feed room. I did this early in the morning and kept the light off it's dark in their with out light. kept the crate door closed for half a day then opened the door and she actually didn't come out till the next day and went right back to her eggs, then I wanted to move her to our smaller coop for hatching so i once again picked up her nest and eggs and moved them while she was out for her R&R once she went back into the feed room i picked her up and took her where her new place was and she went right to her eggs. I have to say she was so easy but I also moved another from a chicken nest box to a stall on the floor for hatching and she did fine too. So I would say do it for her's and the eggs safety. Some have tried and failed but they still have their duck instead of a pred getting her. and yes put the Cayuga eggs under her a week from the time she begins to sit full time.You might want to try doing this after dark if she is out in the open so you can get her easier. you can place a towel over her to carry her then put her eggs inside a box or basket and take as much of her nesting material as you can.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. Free Range Mama

Free Range Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Awesome, thank you! She is nesting outside and is at risk of a coyote getting her. Ideally she'd set in the loft like the last duck did, but that's a long way to move her. I could put her nest into a dog crate in the same spot and maybe she'd go into it, then I could lock it at night.
    Thanks for your tips.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd get her into the dog crate and let her sit in it all day getting use to it, then before dark move her into a secure building maybe where you can put food and water and keep her there for a few days till she gets use to where she is. a pack of coyotes or even one desperate hungry one could probably get to her even with the door closed. Their pretty strong. And I have seen people post on here their Muscovy's sitting on 19 or more eggs but depending on your weather she may not be able to keep that many warm and you may lose some. The most I've let mine sit were 8. I have to practice birth control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by