Questions about adding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, May 13, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Ok, here we go again.... the dog that chased the last pullets is gone, so we are going to try this again. Hopefully this time we get past 4 months. We have 2 three week old girls and one week old (or there about). We are in southern Ca so it is in the 70s during the day and upper 40s and 50s at night. the 2 older gals have always lived outside from where we got them. The same day we got those 2, we picked up a little orpington and put them all in a large dog carrier together(that was saturday) Being a new home for all they got along great despuite the age and size difference. Monday it was sprinkling so I moved the crate indoors. Just moved it out again this morning and they have a 125 watt light in one corner. One of the two bigger chicks lays with the little one and one gets on a perch at night away from the light. Eveyone is quiet so I assume they are warm enough.

Now the problem.. I went back the the feed store Tuesday but they are all out of pullets. New batch due in tomorrow. They will be a day old. Lady there said to get 2 so the new one isnt picked on. I am planning to do that. But should I add them right away or keep them seperate and in the house for a week? I am wondering if switching from a white to a red heat lamp will help everyone acclimate. I figure chickens on a farm manage to live outdoors so why cant mine ... or am I a bad mom putting everyone outside, even though two definately have been living outside before I got them even.. Thanks for any words or wisdom.

-D [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:One of the main things your lacking that a farm has is a Broody!! But yes as long as they have their light then they should be warm enough. I usually don't brood anywhere's but outside except when it's super cold.

I would be worried about adding these new chicks to you others. I'd probably keep them inside for a week or so before I would try to add them. And then watch them super close for a week or so!!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:One of the main things your lacking that a farm has is a Broody!! But yes as long as they have their light then they should be warm enough. I usually don't brood anywhere's but outside except when it's super cold.

I would be worried about adding these new chicks to you others. I'd probably keep them inside for a week or so before I would try to add them. And then watch them super close for a week or so!!

WELCOME TO BYC. oh and i second this. They may have been raised outside but they had a broodie hen to keep them warm.

4. marianne907

marianne907 New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    I have about the same question. I have 24 pullets that are about 8 weeks old. I also received 10 chicks that are only 1.5 weeks old. How old should the chicks be before I put them in with the older ones? [​IMG]

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Actually no, the chicks are all in a large rabbit cage where the 2 older ones came from.. just chicks, no broodie.. Hens are all over the property, but have no access to the chicks

6. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Good questions - I'm adding chicks too - this is all new to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by