questions about adding eggs to incubatot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rayray983, Jan 2, 2014.

1. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    I have a lg still air incubator I have had 11 eggs in it for 2 days tmrw I plan on picking up 3 dozen eggs to put in incubator my question is how should I introduce the new eggs to incubator should I attempt to warm them up in my hatcher then add them to incubator after eggs temp has increased so I don't drop the temp in the incubator or just add the eggs to my incubator and let the temp go down then back up I want to do what's best for all the eggs and I'm new to incubating so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You do not want to add cold eggs, or freshly shipped eggs to the incubator. They need to settle, allowing for all the air bubbles to disperse and the air cell to return to it's normal position at the top of the egg. The eggs should sit at room temp for 12 -24 hours before setting.

And yes, adding eggs to the incubator will lower the temp and humidity for a while.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    I got my eggs this morning 3 dozen from a neighbor who already had them on their counters brought them home place them in my hatcher took 3 hrs for temp to stabilize then transfered the eggs to my incubator a hr ago incubator temp only dropped to 98.2 then slowly climbed back up to 100 as we speak

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

glad it worked out for you.

A small drop for a few hours while the eggs came to temp would not have harmed your eggs.

Another option if you did not have a hatcher would have to had larger bottles water in the incubator that would make the mass in their larger than the eggs you were adding

5. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Never thought about a large bottle of water its my first time incubating so I'm not expecting perfection if I just get one chick out of the 47 eggs I have in the bator I'll be happy I've noticed a lot of its just trial and error from what I've read on other peoples post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by