Questions about AE

emmasmama

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with AE? I have a 2 week old chick who developed strong neck twitching 2 days ago. Then her leg went limp and curled, and she's not walking properly, just limping. She doesn't move much, and sleeps a lot.

However, just when I think she's looking really bad she jumps up and starts pecking and acting fine - except for the leg. The neck tremors/twitching has now stopped. I have read that with AE you need to quarantine the bird, but I'm wondering for how long. If she does recover, how/when will I know, and when can she be reintroduced to the flock? She's currently in a separate box within the larger box containing our other 5 chicks.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

She's a little buff Polish. I had her on the organic chick starter, which doesn't have anything extra in it, but the owner of the shop where I bought her suggested I switch to medicated feed, so I picked that up yesterday. I put a little sugar in her water too (per a suggestion from the internet), and she does seem to be eating and drinking okay.

It's probably not stargzaing from amprolium then, if you only just now switched to the medicated feed. I don't have any experience with AE myself, sorry. It just sounded similar to a chick I had once with stargazzing issues that turned out to be an issue with the amprolium.

Thanks for the response! Silly me - I thought "Stargazer" was the type of chicken! As you can see I'm an absolute beginner... ;). The chick is actually doing much better, so I'm guessing it's not AE. The medicated feed seemed to help. She still sleeps a lot more, and limps a little, but is seeming much healthier than she was.

Back
Top Bottom