Questions about age of chickens in bator...

mustangrooster

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
A little on the crazy side.
So Mustang is back with more questions about her Janoel 12 bator...

So today is day 10 of Incubating (Halfway!) However..The development of the chicks is what has kept me questioning.

One egg in particular looks about 18 days old maybe older (When I Candled) . The whole egg is covered with his dark body and I can see his legs kicking and can easily make out 3 toes on each foot, His beak is by the air bag and it looks way older than what it should be!. One other egg looks younger than it should be I can easily make out his movement but it is tiny, Looks about 6 days old.

I cant understand it, They where all set on the same day with the same temp. Below are some pics of what they look like (My 8 eggs)

This is what the second egg I described looks like:
viable-eggs.jpg

This is what the first egg I described looks like:
82123_lankenvelder1.jpg
230_day_18_2_copy.jpg

And the rest look like a mix of these guys:

Day6candle11.jpg
KP_developing.jpg

Candlingd14_41.jpg
And so on...(Please note that the pictures aren't mine)

Is this normal...Has anyone ever experienced such a thing?

-Mustang

Last edited:
Okay so I have just gotten back from candelling the eggs that looks like its on day 18 and im kicking myself. This one particular egg that looks to be hmm...17 or 18 Days OLD seems to be kicking somewhat. Its either It wants to get out of his egg quicker or I have marked the hatching day on the calendar wrong! That eggs looks like it going to HATCH in about 4 or 3 days time. Where as I figured I have ONE normal egg that looks like its on day 10 (Yeah 1 normal egg in my bator
roll.png
) So I really cant raise the temp and humidity for this one chick if it really looks its age. If I did so my other eggs would die too.

Has anyone experienced this?? A little help needed... Or any advice at all...
hide.gif

Last edited:
Okay so its nightfall (almost) I decided to candle the eggs one last time (as well as turn them) and what did I do? DROP (It slipped
hit.gif
) the egg. The egg that looks like its on day 17 or something. It cracked above the air cell so now I can look down on the egg and see the little guy kicking clearly. Only the top of the air cell is ruptured. The bottom of the air cell where the chick makes its first Pip is not broken. I covered it up immediately. But now I notice the air cell is sagging down on the chick whilst it kicks.

HELP!

What should I do? The chick is definitely way older than its siblings. Should I risk leaving the chick in the egg or help it emerge and place it in something else in the incubator (Stupid!? I know but I am really stressing out here!)

Has anyone else experienced this? Please help me
hide.gif

I can now notice that the chick is a white chick. How? She has all her feathers and is fully formed
ep.gif
Wa but how? It was only meant to be day 10!! She is nipping and kicking at her air sack. I can see remaining yolk by the air sack but apart from that nothing else.

<<Extremely confused>>>

Are you sure the eggs were fresh when you set them?

Also, do you rotate the egg placement in the incubator? Most will have some hotter and cooler areas. This is one reason I move mine around every 4 or 5 days.

Are you sure the eggs were fresh when you set them?

Also, do you rotate the egg placement in the incubator? Most will have some hotter and cooler areas. This is one reason I move mine around every 4 or 5 days.

I was sure in the beginning but now im not so sure..the hens did sit on some before I set them maybe the eggs started developing... could that be the problem?

And yes I do rotate the placements in the incubator daily.

-Mustang

If they weren't pulled from the nest the day they were laid then they likely started developing, so now you have a staggered hatch. It's not the end of the world, it can just bring your hatch rate down if you don't have a separate hatcher.

If they weren't pulled from the nest the day they were laid then they likely started developing, so now you have a staggered hatch. It's not the end of the world, it can just bring your hatch rate down if you don't have a separate hatcher.

I pulled the eggs away from the nesting boxes the night after they were laid..Even if I have a staggered hatch im sure its alright. I will keep this thread updated on how everything works out.

-Mustang

Yes, my neighbor does it regularly. .Staggered, turner still in, going off of the built in gauges with no humidity monitoring or "lockdown". His hatch rates aren't great but he does get some chicks and quail. Good luck.

So the chick that is fully formed is still alive (Thankfully) But (There always seems to be a BUT..
wink.png
) due to the fall of the egg, below the air sack apart of the egg is partly cracked-Although its covered with unscented candle wax it Is still very weak so its a little worrying because if the chick pushes on that part of the egg its most likely that it will break
hide.gif

The chick seems to keep on pecking his air sack ALL DAY. Is this normal? I feel like I should be doing something...However I have refused to do so because I still see egg yolk and liquid. Its not cheeping or chirping but it just seems to be pecking and nipping its air sack. What should I do? Or what should I already be doing? Because of the eggs condition im stressing out about what the chick is doing and I feel if it dies in the egg before it even gets to hatch the blame rests on my shoulders...

Back
Top Bottom