Questions about an old GQF incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chubbydog811, May 6, 2009.

1. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have a few questions about the incubators I bought today - there 2, very old, GQF, round, still air incubators, has a wafer for heating.

My questions:

I know how the wafer works, but I have never used one. Is it normal that it fluctuates between 100* and 102*?

Would it be worth it to switch out the wafer to a thermostat like the LG's have? And how hard would it be?

Also, how hard is it to wire in a fan? Is that what those extra wires are for that are looped and capped off?

Ive only ever used an LG circulated air, so I have no idea. I over-loaded my 2 LG's, and needed a few more, but was short on money, so these were worth it (at $15 each).

Anyway, any comments/thoughts would be great! [​IMG]
    I can get pictures if needed.

Edited for spelling...Lacking sleep..sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Anyone??? I thought I would get more response than this!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I would start by buying new wafers. Wafers have a liquid in them that explands/contracts with temperature. Over time, and with age, the liquid inside the wafer can evaporate and render the wafers useless.

It would probably NOT be worth it to switch out the thermostat, if a $7 wafer will fix the problem.

A fan is not hard to wire, however determining the right size fan for your incubator, and the right wires to connect it to can be difficult if you do not have any electrical experience.

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Chubby Dog,
    Where in N.H. are you? I am in Seabrook .I am having troubles with my GQF bator also.The temp has gone up to 110 degrees 4 times in the last 2 weeks and has cooked 3/4 of a years worth of pheasant eggs.I just ordered a new Dickey and should be here this week.I plan to get the Dickey up and running and then try to rebuild the GQF.I've had troubles with my GQF for 6 seasons now,just when you think you have it figured out,it starts all over again.All my troubles are with the turner motor.
    I get my parts through www.culterssupply.com.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the feedback!
    since I had 2 of them, that's why I was considering trying to put a different kind of thermostat in. One works relatively well - it stays within 1* of where I want it. The other one is within at least 4*...So I guess Ill start with just replacing the wafer on it...
    How would I figure out what size of a fan to get? It is round, and can hold I think up to 50 eggs. (like the LG 9200, but its round)...

Tony - Im in Barnstead. This is the first time I've had a GQF - I've been perfectly happy with my LG, but I couldnt find anymore that were used - I didnt really want to spend another $90 on a brand new one...Ill have to check out that site. I can get the wafer through the person I bought these from, but if I want to try to rebuild one, it might be worth it!

7. rbar

rbar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Dayton, Tennessee
    I have one of the round ones, great little incubator for the original price...original wafer, it DOES vary a degree on either side, and being a still air it needs to be avout 100.5 - 101.5.
    I would check it with a remote temp gauge, with sensor sandiched between the sides of a baggie partially filled with water to averag the temps, trying to replicate the temp inside the potential egg...this is talked about elsewhere in this forum.
    Having said that, I decided to use it as a hatcher, keeping my nice new Genesis clean for the next batch for the first 18 days...
    Hope this helps...

Quote:

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Chubby Dog,
    Will you be going to the swap in rochester,N.H on the 16th?It's at the Country Brook Kennels on Farmington Rd.If you can wait til then I have a fan from my bator.I put a high volume fan in mine and I am not using the original fan that came with it.I also have wafers,but I think they are bad.I have an extra turner motor that I would like to get 25.00 for it,they sell for 52.00 new,but the other stuff you can have.
    Or you can swing by and pick them up if your interested.I was just at the Tractor supply in Chichester a few weeks ago to.Your only about an hour from here.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the offer Tony! I dont need a turner motor though...just wafers, and a fan...
    I was thinking of going to that one in Rochester...it depends what is going on...Though I think I'll be able to make it...I was also at that swap...That was the first one I'd ever gone to...
    Anyway, I can give you a heads up a few days before that swap to let you know if I'm still going to try to make it. [​IMG]

also, thanks rbar - that helps knowing that 1* is ok! I'm assuming that 4+ * probably isnt normal?...and that one will need to be replaced..

Forgot to add - I'm so used to my LG, that any constant temp change doesnt seem normal!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Tony - I wanted to let you know, that I will be going to the swap in Rochester on Sat - I have a few roosters that I need to sell, and some chicks [​IMG]...Is the offer still up for the fan and wafers? Ill probably be getting there around 930 or so...

So more questions about the wafers....

I think that the wafer in the incubator I thought was good, is actually bad. Or maybe I'm just too used to the incredibly sensitive LG? I would turn it way down, it would go down, but the shoot back up to 104*? Its been going good since yesterday(luckily - now that I have leghorns and guinea eggs in there!), but I'm still not understanding why it does that?

Any tips on what to expect from using a wafer? Like is there a certain amount you turn it to drop/raise 1*? When it does change, will the temp change within a few minutes, or does it take a while? I assume this should be really easy, but coming from an LG, it's incredibly hard to figure out for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by