Questions about Babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by squirtnlex, Apr 16, 2007.

1. squirtnlex

squirtnlex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    :)Hello all, I'm new to this chicken thing, we did have some when I was a kid years and years ago, but never chicks! They are 2 weeks old (i think) wings feathered, maybe a bit more but not much. When I try to catch, they scatter off, do I chase them down? I want my kids (6 & 7) to handle them (I think) to try to tame them a bit, I do tell them to talk nice to them, so as not to scare! They are in a plastic kiddie pool with fencing around it in my garage with a red heat lamp on 1/3 of it, but there isn't any way to raise the lamp, is this a problem? Or will they just go off to the other end when they are too warm? Also, do they want to roost now, or not? Should I be looking closely at their combs and beaks to tell if male or female, or is it too early?
    Thanks for all your help, this site is GREAT!
    Courtney

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Hi [​IMG] I try to get my chickens used to kids as well because my breeds are ones that are more for pets so I think getting them used to being pet and handled is a good idea. You can begin this by having your kids sit quietly near them (you can always let them outside for a bit during the day under your supervision) with little treats in their hands. No jerky or quick movements, etc., no squealing or loud noises (hehe Mine are 9, 7, 5 and almost 2 so I get that's not easy!)

If they get too hot, they'll go to the other end, yes.

Some like roosts. I've had littles roost before. If you can get one up for them, I'm sure they'd enjoy starting/practicing on it.

What breed are these? Combs and wattles appear quicker on some than others. Do you need to ONLY keep roos? IF so, you may need to keep an eye out sooner, but in general you should know by about a month...as long as it's not silkies or crested breeds. [​IMG]

3. squirtnlex

squirtnlex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    Thanks! We did put a pole in there, and the next morning, one of them had hopped on it and was hanging out! I was told they are Rhode Island Reds and a white kind too, one may be black and white speckled. I want hens, only one shows aggressive tendencies, and I read what another poster said about picking one up and the roos pecked at her leg to let the hen go. I tried that, they could care LESS!! I will try to figure out how to put pix on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by