Questions about banty and/or polish roosters.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I would like to get another rooster for my flock. I have 23 hens and 1 rooster right now. I'm getting more chicks in the next couple days and I was thinking about getting either a banty rooster or a polish rooster but had a couple questions.

1) Because Polish and banty chickens are smaller, will the roosters be less likely to get aggressive or are they just as aggressive as large fowl?

2) I have a large fowl barred rock rooster. He's mild mannered but we've tangoed a few times. Will the roosters fight? I plan on introducing the new rooster to the LF rooster early on to reduce chances of fighting but wasn't sure if that's a death sentence for the banty or polish.

That's it for now, thank you in advance.

2. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I've only had my chickens a few months and they are my first, so if someone else comes along with better advice, by all means, listen to them... :)

I have 8 little cockerals. One is with my pullets and the others share a bachelor pen. About three of them aren't truly aggressive towards me. Even my little ladies' roo is a little *** most of the time. I've found that carrying a spray bottle with me and spritzing any roo that comes at me works fairly well. I don't think it really matters that they are bantams and not large fowl. They have the rooster attitude. :/

As for putting a banty rooster in the pen with a large fowl roo... If it were me, I would wait until the roo was full grown and slowly introduce him to the flock. More of a fighting chance since he'll be so much smaller. With that many ladies, though, they should come to an understanding and work things out. I will say this, though: all of my roos grew up together since day olds and still fight over who's in charge. Some days, they don't fight at all... Other days, they fight constantly. :\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by