Questions about Black Jack #57

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Birdies Birds, May 26, 2019.

1. Birdies Birds

Birdies Birds In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    We are coating the wooden floor on the inside of our coop with Black jack #57. A few questions we have are:
    1. Does it heat the coop up in hot weather? (It is inside)
    2. If we use it for brooding and put a heat lamp on it will it heat up more than I want it to, and
    will it become tacky if using a lamp?
    3. Same issue with a heater for their water in the winter- do I need to put something
    in between the blackjack and the heater so it doesn't ruin the black jack?
    4. Any other issues that I need to know about? Thanks in advance!

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    There shouldn't be any issues with heat as you'd have bedding/litter on top which should protect the surface of it from getting hot. How hot does it get where you're at? It says it can be applied in as high as 110 degree heat so it doesn't seem that high heat should cause any issues.

aart, Birdies Birds and blackdog043 like this.
  3. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    :welcome

No, it does not add any additional heat. I have pine shavings on my coop floor.

No, once it is cured a heat lamp will not bother it. The heat lamp should not be that close to the bedding or wall anyway. I suggest looking into the mama heating pad for brooding. It's safer than a heat lamp, the chicks get used to day and night from the start.

If your talking about the metal inverted pan style heater base, no it will be fine. I would think you will have to have it raised on something anyway, to keep bedding out of the waterer. Another alternative for clean water 24/7 is to use horizontal nipples. You can add a stock tank deicer for the colder months, to keep your water from freezing. Here's an article on how I made mine. Stock tank deicers and horizontal nipples are used by others on here where their temps get to -20.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

Before you use Black Jack, turn the can upside down for a day or two. This will help with stirring it up, it is very thick on the bottom. I used a five gallon can for my coop, I had it upside down for a day and it took me about 15 minutes to stir it up good. I used a long piece of 5/4 board.

20170415_130426.jpg

20170416_130051.jpg

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Songster

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I did my floor and about 12 inches up the walls. However there is always a layer of litter/bedding in the coop so it is not noticeable and as far as I can tell has no impact on heat etc.

Birdies Birds likes this.
  5. Birdies Birds

May 26, 2019
    Thank you for such complete answers to my questions!

blackdog043 likes this.
  6. Birdies Birds

May 26, 2019
    I'm in Illinois so 90 degrees or so, looks like it's not going to be a problem. Thanks for answering1

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: