Questions about black sex-links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ceceuu, Aug 4, 2014.

1. ceceuu

ceceuu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    I got a gold sex link (GOLD STAR) last Spring with my first ever batch of chickens. She is lovely and has laid a beautiful large golden-brown egg every day since she was 17 weeks old. She is very sweet nature and quiet. So when I get some more chicks next Spring I want to get another Red Sex Link, but I was wondering about the Black Sex Links too. What do they market the black sex links as (Black Star? Black Coment?). And how do their temperament, health and egg-laying compare to the red sex-links? What chickens are bred to get them? Thank you for your replies.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I raised both Red and Black Sex Links for many years and actually prefer the Blacks as mine have been friendlier and laid slightly better in really cold winter weather than my Reds (despite Murray McMurray's claim at http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/faqwhichbreedlaysbetterredstar.html that both varieties lay equally well). They are both bred using red gene fathers (RIRs, Prod. Reds, or NHRs), but I think that perhaps the Barred Rock mothers of the BSLs (RSLs have silver gene mothers) make the temperament difference, and perhaps a slight hardiness difference as well, although I can't say for sure that is the reason. I do know that my BSLs seem to be a little hardier and longer laying than my RSLs. In fact, I no longer have the RSLs as a result of these observations; I currently have just BSLs. Black Sex Links are usually just marketed as Black Sex Links, but occasionally as Black Stars or Bovans Nera.

3. ceceuu

ceceuu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Thank you Michael - very good information. I am looking forward to getting some this Spring! We have pretty cold weather here.

4. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We have had black sexlinks for 8 weeks now and they are great. Very friendly calm birds. 7 of ours just turned 15 weeks today and we're looking forward to eggs

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by