Questions about Brahmas and Black Sex Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Justanother Brooke, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Hello -
    A lady here in my town has a whole bunch of 1 year old laying hens for sale, for $4 each!! I am working on getting a diverse flock, as far as breeds and colors go.
    She has Black Sex Links, Buff Brahmas, Gold Sex Links, and Buff Orpingtons. I already have an Orp and a (I think) Gold Sexlink, so I was thinking about getting a Brahma and a Black Sexlink from her.
    How are their personalities? Do they get along well with other chickens? Are they fairly cold and heat hardy? Are Brahmas decent egg layers?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Brahmas tend to be very docile, and are often picked on by other breeds. I would not house them with sex links.

3. callducklover20

callducklover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Bonner Springs, KS
    I have my Brahmas with my Silkies-all so sweet and gentle, I love them

4. Justanother Brooke

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Quote:If they've already been housed with sexlinks and housed together for the last year, wouldn't they be okay?

5. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have a light Brahama that came in into my flock as an older hen..she is sweet, docile and has the best personality! I housed her with my RIR and Australorp...she was the only one that got along with everyone...was never picked on and never picked on anyone...they are a good breed IMO!

6. turrbrahma

turrbrahma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    If the hens have been housed together happily then they should be fine. I have Brahma hens that lay everyday and a few that lay every other day!The real bonus is that they tend to lay year round! I LOVE my Light Brahmas and that is a great price! If I was close I would buy them!

7. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

I have light brahma hens and a buff brahma roo..LOVE my brahmas! My roo, Chuck Norris, can be testy at times but the girls are sooo sweet! I can pet them and they don't run away..Chuck Norris, on the other hand, would most likely give you a bite & karate chop.

I also have black sex-link hens and they all get along.

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Definitely get the Brahmas [​IMG] [​IMG] My Brahmas were awesome, docile, and beautiful birds.

9. Justanother Brooke

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    I am just waiting for this lady to email me back., She said she had 3 Black Sexlinks, 3 Golden Sexlinks, 3 Buff Orps, and 3 Buff Brahmas, plus a Light Brahma Rooster. I am SO hoping she still has some Blacks and Brahmas left! She just posted the craigslist add yesterday, plus we live in a TINY town! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by