Questions about breeds ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by froggiesheins, Jan 6, 2011.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I know I have posted this roo before but I am so confused with white ears/red ears leg colors, so I thought I would try this again for your help.

Here are my questions: If the roo has white ears what breed? Red ears what breed? We are talking about the same coloring on the bird. There are 4 roos at the horse stables and they all have the same coloring BUT the ears are different and the leg color is different, hence my questions. I just want to learn more about this good stuff.....thanks all![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What's wrong with his leg? [​IMG]

White Earlobes and Red Earlobes don't indicate breed, they normally indicate egg color. (white eggs - white earlobes. brown, blue, or green eggs - red earlobes)

I'd say both your roosters are mutts though. One carries the genes to lay white or very pale eggs, the other for brown eggs.

3. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I am sorry I didn't mention that...Limpy got stepped on by a horse when he was a chick, and here he is 1 1/2 years later doing great! He is my "special" buddy. I look out for him and he waits for me to come everyday before he eats. I always bring him special treats...

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    NOW I know why I was SO confused about breeds/ear colors etc.... THANK YOU for that great info Illia! [​IMG]

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Breed is indicated by several factors.... body type, comb type, wing carriage, tail carriage, skin color, shank color, sometimes feather color.

I agree, mutts.

poor guy, other than that looks fairly good though.

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:with some exceptions- penedesenca has white lobes and lays one of the darkest eggs
    but i agree with illia about the egg color

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:Limpy the handicapped rooster is a good old boy. I need to take an updated pic of him as he looks awesome right now, that pic is from last summer. We have a cool relationship -- He's my main man! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by