Questions about broody Cochin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tressa27884, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I have a hen that was being a bit testy when I went to pulls eggs out from under her, so I decided to leave them. She does go out and free range a bit with the rest of the flock - does this mean she isn't broody. She won't let any of the other hens in 'her' nesting box. I've left her four eggs. How long before I can candle them and see if they are viable?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, how long does she stay on the nest? Does she just leave it briefly to drink, eat and potty, and then runs back to the nest? Some broodys just seem like they NEVER leave the nest! You wonder how they survive!

I like to wait until 10 days to candle eggs, that way, you will definitely see some life in there, no doubt about it! If I candle too early, it just gives me anxiety because I'm not sure.....LOL

Sharon

3. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Thanks for the reply Sharon. She leaves for maybe 30 minutes at a time at most; but she won't leave the run. All the others will go out into the yard to dig for worms and stuff - she won't. This is more or less an experiment for me. I'm getting ready to buy chicks and I'd love it if she'd raise them for me.....

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I have a broody EE - that won't leave her nest. I didn't see her leave at all yesterday. I took her off the nest and put her at the waterer/feed yesterday - she just about took my hand off! Was glad I had on gloves. LOL. I tucked a few eggs from our White Leghorn under her - she readily accepted them all. I'll candle in about a week and see if anything is growing. Then if nothing is happening I hope to have some purchased eggs to slip under her instead.

5. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I think I just want a broody so badly that it's wishful thinking on my part...[​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's either broody or close to broody. My Smokey was close for several days before she went officially broody. She kept hanging out in the nest box for about a full day & laying eggs. Then one day she stopped laying and hung out permenantly. That was two days ago. I put a few eggs under her to add to the one she was sitting on. I'm hoping to get a few other colors to put under her to hatch - we'll see how those auctions go.

I didn't want a broody - but since I have one I intend to use it to my advantage :)

7. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    My broody cochin wont leave her eggs...she isnt nasty but she is not leaving that nest for anything..I can tell when she goes broody for the long hall because she will flatten out and cover the eggs completely..She also fusses alot about the tidiness of her nesting area. She will "house keep" pulling all the eggs under her. Once she goes broody I have her in my heated basement in a small dog carrier with food and water at her neck's reach. This way she does not loose too much body weight. She is on her 3rd and last "sit" for a bit. I love my little Reba,

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The final, telling test is when a hen displays all those behaviors AND stays in the nest for at least two consecutive nights instead of going to roost with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by