questions about broody cockatiels

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Desirai, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    my hen is 9 years old and went broody about 2 weeks ago. she has laid 4 eggs.

they are not fertile. How long should I let her sit on them before I take them away?

do I take them one by one? she's become very aggressive.

2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    How do you know that they are infertile? If you are sure they are infertile you can take them all at once.. Odds are that she will start laying again and hopefully this batch is fertile!! Good luck!

3. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Because it takes 2 to tango, and I only have one. :p

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I would leave them in there until she gets bored and decrease her amount of daylight.

1 person likes this.
  5. Englishjodes

Englishjodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    How many eggs did she lay? Arent they sooo cute when they broody and rounding up the eggs underneath them!

[​IMG]

Dee layed 4 (1 every other day) but i did remove the first one because i dint know that i wasnt supposed to. So she actually replaced the one i moved, so 5 eggs in total.

[​IMG]

If it happens again for you or if anyone else reads this... yeah just do not take away the eggs coz it can mess up them up trying to replace all the eggs. She will sit on them for ages and only get up to eat and poop, and be all bitey and hissy (well more than usual! lol)
    She will eventually leave the eggs and you will know when they are done with trying to hatch them...trust me you will know!

6. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Yeah, Gabi finally abandoned the eggs a few days ago. I didn't think she was ever going to give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by