Questions about Buff American and super Dewlap African

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, Aug 9, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Tomorrow I am picking up a female Buff American goose and a Super Dewlap African goose. They are 3 months old. The owner doesn't know the sex of the Super Dewlap African goose so I'm wondering if there is a way to tell. He said they are very friendly and one of them loves being held. What are the temperments of these type of geese? I have 2 sebbies that are a month older and I'm sure they will get along just fine.

Any info will be a great help. I'm looking forward to seeing them tomorrow. I didn't tell my daughter about them since she will just roll her eyes........ LOL. I'm a sucker when it comes to an animal that needs a home. What can I say?

2. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Buffs are bred for a calm temperament, and though I haven't got Sebbies myself, the impression I get is that they are similar personalities. Probably if you post photos, folks here can give pretty educated guesses as to what sexes they look like. I love my Buffs! They're only five months old but my gander, compared to the girls, looks beefy in the face and his eyes look proportionally smaller. He's all jowly. He looks like Alec Baldwin. [​IMG] The girls have substance but look more refined and feminine. But it's easier when they're side by side. I know my own birds but am not good enough to guess from a photo [​IMG]

3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I will take pictures of them tomorrow. I know the buff is a female. I don't even know what they look like. A guy on Craigslist was looking for a home for them and I broke down. He said a few people just fell through. The guy wants to keep them but things are just happening and feels it better they go to a good home. Lucky me, $30 includes a 50lb bag of chick starter........ lol. They will be happy here with all my other birds. I will keep them separated for a bit to make sure everyone gets a long.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

You'll enkoy the African as they're lovely birds, dont forget to post your pictures when you get them [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I picked them up this afternoon. They are so cute. I feel they are a bit under weight but happy otherwise and friendly. The Super Dewlap is a bit on the shy side compared to the Buff. They still have their fluff. They were from Metzer and were hatched on 6/20. The guy gave me the receipt which I thought was pretty cool of him to do. At least I have a record of them and know where they came from. Now the guy said the female is the Buff but the Dewlap was "straight run" so it could be anything. Anyone tell me what the Super Dewlap might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    holy mackerel, that African has ginormous feet! I know big feet is a male Muscovy thing, dunno if it applies to geese. But whoa those are big. Dude isn't gonna blow over in a wind storm!

7. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:LOL...... that's too funny. They look like normal size geese feet to me...... haha. This morning I let them out of the pen. The buff followed me as if I had a string attached to me. The dewlap on the other hand let all the other geese and ducks that he will not put up with any nonsense and ran them all off. Wow..... this goose means business. So very funny to watch. The buff was getting pushed around by my two geese although I made sure I was right there to stop any aggression. I suppose it's a pecking order thing.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:That 'dude' looks to me like he is going to be a massive African I suspect a gander, but don't worry too much they are usually laid back and if they rule the backyard it is mostly by bluff due to their large size. The dewlap is like a big double chin starting below the bill into the top of the neck. It increases with maturity and these big boys can take 3 years to get to max size.

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    3 years! Are you serious? Wow. I have a feeling it's a boy too for some reason. I don't know how laid back they are but he has already been aggressive to all the ducks and geese. I kid you not. I decided to let them out of the pen since the buff follows me at my heals I knew the dewlap would be close as well. I had all of the waterfowl in one pen but separated by another smaller pen. The barrior is one of those pet pen fences. Works great. I thought it to be a good way for everyone to get to know each other with out anyone getting hurt. Anyway..............Sure enough, the buff was a step behind me and the dewlap followed at his own pace. My 4 month old Sebbies and 4 month old Pekins (both in pairs) wanted to check out the newcomers up close. Well, the Dewlap wanted no part of that and went on the attack. Now they are all afraid of him and I even think the Dewlap was afraid as well because he came running to me with his wings open. He has no problem going for the birds necks which kind of bothers me. I hope he won't grow up to be aggressive. The buff saw this and she gave it a try but it was a week one. She was proud of herself none the less. I know it's only been 24 hrs so I do hope things will calm down.

BTW, the guy I got them from advertised that they were 3 months old. They are only a 1 1/2 months old. They were hatched 6/20. I can't believe they are this big already.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Not really kiding about the 3 year thing, most showman will enter early hatched 2 year olds but they often do better the next year when they have their full growth. As for the neck thing have you ever had a goose with goslings? they handle them by the neck and of course when they mate the neck is usually held by the gander. I still think when the dewlap is full sized he will rule but will tend to be laid back unless chalanged by another gander.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by