Questions about bumble foot? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andythescot, Dec 21, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I have this hen who has a large bump on the bottom of one of her feet. She has to limp when she walks. I noticed this around yesterday, so I let her stay with the others last night. This morning she would not get off the roost, so I took her into the house to isolate her, and I noticed the bump got worse.
    I soaked her feet in epson salts and I put her in the barn with a heat lamp, I gave her food and water, but she wouldn't drink, and I noticed her poop seemed very loose. Could this possibly be bumblefoot?

My questions are:

1.) What IS bumblefoot?
    2.) How is it caused?
    3.) How should I treat it?

I will post a picture later.. I have a tough time handling her because she is the loudest, most nervous, and flightiest member of the flock.

And if it helps, she is an Easter Egger, approximately 8 months old, we live in Central Mass, so it is pretty cold outside.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Yesterday:

[​IMG]

Her Recovery Area:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Bumblefoot is like getting a splinter in your finger and getting infected. Chickens get it mainly in their feet by getting something stuck in their footpad and getting infected. Perches and roosts could be the source of splinters, debris on the ground etc...I normally run sandpaper over a roost/perch to smooth it out to help prevent splinters/ bumblefoot. Here's an excellent thread by 'Ruth' containing photos and 'how to' instructions to get rid of bumblefoot. http://www. backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    From looking at her pad, I don't see any sign of bumblefoot. Does she have any sores on top of her foot or between her toes? If not, she might have injured the foot and it just needs time to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by