Questions about butchering a RIR. HELP PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nursesammy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    our 1yr old RIR roo is so very rough with our hens. He has no clue what hes doing. Lol anyway ive tried giving him away and no one will take him. Of course. My husband suggested butchering but is he going to be any good? Texture, taste? Any suggestions?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Just cook him for a long time - he'll be fine! I'd recommend chicken soup or something along those lines.

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I'd definitely, slow cook, brine or tenderize the heck out of him first.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    After he is processed and all organs removed let him "cure" in the fridge for 4-5 days. This will let some of the proteins break down. I use a little lemon juice the last day or curing to help tenderize and add a little extra flavor.

Matt

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    be sure to get him as calm as possible before doing the deed. A ticked off bird will be a much tougher bird.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Ok so how do you "cure" ? I dont typically butcher my chickens so i have no clue what im doing here. What about a rotissore would that do any good?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Mine were mostly RIR roo's so I am watching this thread.

We soaked them in salt water after they were cleaned up and before we brought them in the house. They have been in the fridge 24 hrs now and I plan on putting them in the freezer tomorrow. Is that enough time to leave them in the fridge before freezing??

I plan on soups and casseroles with these chickens.

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say no- butchering older birds is kind of gross, and the meat isn't great. However, that's my own opinion only, and most people probably disagree with me.

9. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    We had to butcher our almost one-year old BO rooster for the same sort of reason. I noticed he had MUCH more fat than a younger bird, but we roasted him (turkey style) and he tasted fine.

( It was very strange, I couldn't find a bile duct anywhere, but that liver was the yummiest. The young roo's I have butchered this season (only two) have had very large bile ducts.)

10. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Definitely let the meat rest for 4-5 days, then make a favorite marinade and slow cook at low heat allllll day.

Tough old roosters are good for shredded chicken meat like pot pies, soups, and chicken salad, pulled chicken, and things.

Or they make excellent stock and dog food if nothing else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by