1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Canadien Geese and how to obtain them

Discussion in 'Geese' started by marvun22, Aug 4, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I want Canadien Geese, but they are expensive (I am already putting big money into lots of other poultry) and the minimum order is 6 (I only wanted 4). I have Wild Canadien Geese that nest near a stream in my Wheat Field. Is it legal to take their eggs so I can incubate and hatch them? If it is illegal and I did, who would catch me? How do I get the permits to own and/or sell/give them away. Do they cooperate with other Geese? Do they cooperate with Ducks? Do they protect ducks? Do they cooperate with chickens? I don't need them to protect my ducks because I have African. Would I still have to have permits to sell Canadien if I cross them with other breeds of geese? I read on Wikipedia that there are lots of Canadien Geese, sometimes seen as too many. If there really are too many, why wouldn't they let people take eggs, especially if its on my land?

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    not legal....if caught....up to a $15,000 fine...can not get a permit....must buy the birds from a licensed breeder then get a sales and disposal permit....you can not get a permit after the fact to keep the birds and certainly cannot sell them. Yes, there are often too many non-migratory geese (several subspecies), but there are subspecies in different popu,ations of concern that are below targeted numbers.....ALL Canada (not Canadian) and Cackling geese are subject to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act which regulates owning and dispersal.....

Clint

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ooh, 15,000 seems a little worse than $42 a piece. I'll probably just purchase them online. Metzer's said they'd send me a permit with them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    That would be the 3-186 form to keep them. You would also need a Federal Sales and Dispoal permit as well as any state permit to sell them.

Clint

5. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Next year (they're all out now) just order them from efowl - there are a couple more hatcheries and then they send the paperwork and you don't have to worry about it. I've ordered them from both places.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    [​IMG]

7. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    NO way!

8. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Okay, do they stay in stock for a while? I assumed they all sold the first day they became available. And this project isn't for another 6-8 years.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

2 people like this.
  10. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    We are in a tiny Nodak county and we have no game warden. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything illegal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by