1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about chick food and bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Union, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Union

Union New Egg

Mar 15, 2008
    Hi, my name's Scott and I'm new to chicken raising. I was wondering if it's a problem to give baby chicks food other than chick starter, such as a small amount of table scraps and things from outside. Also is there a problem with using things from outside as their bedding/cage lining such as grass, leaves, weeds, bark, etc. Other than being more of a hastle to deal with are there any problems with this? (This is where the questions about eating things from outside comes from) Thanks for your help!

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Scott - welcome to BYC and to the joys of raising chickens.

Most people on here will tell you to stick to chick starter food for the first few weeks. However, I feed all of my baby chicks scrambled egg starting at day one, then after a few days, add shredded cheese, and then by the time they're 2 weeks old add diced up veggies - all in addition to their chick starter. I also rig up small runs for them outside in sunshine and put them out to play on grass if it's at least 70 and sunny and they are at least 2 weeks old.

I use a towel on bottom of cardboard box for the first week and then I switch to hay.

Hope that helps. They are great little survivors and are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by