1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Minnechicka, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Minnechicka

Minnechicka New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    We are first time owners of a little chick that is 3 weeks old. We know that we need to get him company and quick. Now we have a few questions for those of you who know a lot about chickens:

- We have a heat lamp but are wondering if we need a fluorescent light to get him "daylight" since he is in the garage for right now.

- In my mind, I thought that a hen could take care of the chick like it was hers but it is my understanding that there is a risk of pekcing if we get hens. But then should we get younger chicks or a little bit older is okay?

Thanks!

2. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well 3 weeks is pretty long alone, if there is no other's it's your DUTY to give them that attention and care, it can accumulate you as it's Mother and can be beneficial as it gets older as a pet however chickens need other chickens for social, heatwise yes itll need some heat till it's feathers fully develop, what type of weather are y'all coming across right now? And it's not all that easy just tossing a random chick to a Hen as it's age is recognize able she may not take it in, I'm not saying it's not possible but all breeds are different.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It would probably be better to get slightly younger chicks. Older chicks would likely dominate and pick on your existing chick.

Good luck

Ct

1 person likes this.
  4. Minnechicka

Minnechicka New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    The chick was not alone for three weeks. It's only been two days. We are in Minnesota.

5. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma

Still, it's alone right. If it's had interaction before to be split apart it will require more attention from you. and Minnesota is cold I'd keep a heat lamp on it even after it feathers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by