Questions about chicken brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coleson12, Mar 28, 2015.

1. coleson12

coleson12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hi my name is cole, it is my first time incubating chickens and I am incubating 12 eggs. I made a brooder out of a dog cage with a heat lamp. I hope I get 6-10 babies. Lets say I get 8 baby chicks. How long can they stay is the dog cage brooder before getting too cramped? Or do they stay in there for the whole 8 week breeding process?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

2. coleson12

coleson12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    North Carolina
    Like since the chickens will grow, do they need to be moved to bigger or separate boxes after awhile?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How long they stay in the dog crate really depends on how large it is, and whether your chicks are bantams or standards.
    Say, if you're using a medium sized dog crate, they'll outgrow that pretty quickly. If its an XL dog crate, they'll be able to stay in there a bit longer.

More space is pretty easy to achieve though. You can simply open the door and push a large cardboard box up to the opening (with a section cut out for the door opening). Or, you can get fancy and build something or simply move them out to the coop early and provide them with a heat lamp if that's an option (being careful to make sure the lamp is secure so you don't burn the coop down, of course!).

Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by