Questions about Chicken Feed/Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hope49, May 8, 2011.

1. Hope49

Hope49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Well, the coop and run are about finished, and the baby chicks are growing, so it's time to work on food and water.

I have some questions for you seasoned veterans... all opinions welcome.

1. How many kinds of feed-type supplies do they need, Lay mash, grit, oyster shell, and whatever "chicken crumbles" are? Are these big bags, and where do you store them?
    Where do you keep the feed - in the run, in a shed, etc. And do you have a bunch of waterproof containers for these kinds of supplies, lined up in a row somewhere? Sheesh, our coop is only big enough for a coop, and our shed is over on the "dog-side" of the yard, pretty inconvenient. But maybe we could store containers in a deck box near the coop?

2, Of all these different supplies, how much will I go through in a month for say 6-8 chickens? (Trying to figure out the best way to store it and keep ants and moisture out of it.)

3. What kind of containers are bug and weather proof?

Please show me photos of your "storage solutions".

4. For the same number of chickens, about how many times a month will I be filling up a 5-gallon bucket of water for the nipple waterers? I can just use a water hose to fill it, right?

We are going to be gone for a week in the Fall and need to plan for someone to "chickensit" - Am trying to get an idea of how much the sitter will need to deal with regarding food/water.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Relaxs!!! I have two metal trash cans on the outside of my coop. One has pellets in it the other has boss. I use a bungie cord that holds the lids on tight. One scoop inside the can to fill the feeder. I'll post a pic of my feeder it holds around 50 lbs of feed. I free range so during the spring & through the summer they don't eat much feed. I add feed as needed. Water is an ongoing process. I refill & clean their waterer daily. I keep the feeder in the coop. I have a waterer in th[​IMG]e coop & one waterer in the run. [​IMG]

3. Hope49

Hope49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks! I do have a tendency to overthink everything. I just couldn't find a waterproof container. And couldn't decided where to have the food/water - in the run or the coop. Seems like people have it both places. And what is "boss"??

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It's all good!! Boss is Black oiled sunflower seed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by