Questions about Cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roy Rooster, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I have a few questions about Cocci.

Background:
    I have a flock of 16 BO hens about 2 years old.
    I have noticed that a few of them are acting like they are not feeling well.
    -eyes closed, looks like they are ruffled up, not much energy...
    We are coming out of a pretty hard molt so I am not sure if maybe this is the cause of their behavior.

I have heard that cocci is something that chickens can get. I hear of it more in chicks but I am sure
    that hens can get it too.

Our weather has been very rainy and cold so I am not able to get a good look at poop
    to make any deductions of whether it is cocci or not.

Should I go ahead and treat them? If so can some one tell me what is the best method.

I use the deep litter method, should I clean out the coop really well? Our weather has been very
    wet so cleaning the pen which has a dirt floor may be a little hard right now till the ground dries out.

Also, can we get cocci from eating the eggs? What precautions should I take with the this? I have never
    encountered this before.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Could be worms, check for mites and lice. Also there is a cocci article in my signature that has treatment and more information.

4. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thank you so much for the info on your signature. You were very helpful, I think that worming them might not be a bad
    idea. I wormed them in March last year, January is not that far off. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by