1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about cooping

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MissAbraKadabra, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MissAbraKadabra

MissAbraKadabra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    i was looking thru pictures of coops on here and i noticed that it seems alot of people have the coop set up to totally isolate the chickens once inside, my coop isn't like that. Is there a guideline on what you should do for coops [​IMG]
    my coops is made of pallets this is not a recent picture
    i have a perch and the back has been filled in with lumber cuts
    this was just the first photo after it was constructed
    we will be adding a door soon but then i have to rethink my ramp bc it wouldn't be access able when the door is closed next time i clean and rake the coop i will take new photos of it

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO the only reason to have a coop is for predators and to a lesser extent to keep the rain off them.
    With that being said, I think an open air design is good but it is difficult to make it predator proof.
    No matter where you live, predators will find your chickens.

3. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    up until recently my chickens had their own person guard dog that slept under the coop and kept after them,he recently passed away, i live in a well housed area with lots of neighbors near by that have chickens and roosters down the way, i havent seen any signs that something was lingering after my chickens nor even seen a raccoon or anything like that but it is something i worry about from time to time

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That only means the predators haven't found them yet.
    My first loss was to an opossum. Then the neighbors pack of huskies killed 9 in about 3 minutes.
    I've lost only 1 to a hawk but mostly because of my good roosters. I lost a few to raccoons and a couple more to possums. I trapped religiously. For almost 2 years I didn't lose a bird and became complacent. I couldn't always make it home by dusk and still didn't lose any. All of a sudden raccoons have come in droves. I've lost 26 this year, mostly from the coons that broke into my basement on 2 occasions and ate all the chicks down there.
    My coops have very big windows but covered and well secured with hardware cloth.

5. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    well with the aggression my youngest one displays she might just fight off anything that tries to come her way
    she use to go after my shy dog which was a rather big dog

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That may be true during the day. At night chickens are blind and vulnerable to anything that wants chicken dinner.
    I have very good protective roosters with each flock. I've seen them take a hawk out of the air. But in the last 2 weeks I lost 2 roosters to raccoons. There hasn't been a chicken developed that can take on a raccoon and survive. Raccoons have killed lots of big dogs.
    No offense but you're kidding yourself if you think you don't have raccoons and that they aren't a threat.

Good thread here.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261440/the-worst-predator

7. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    i will probably continue to think i don't have predators til something happens, but like i said i will be getting a door added to my coop soon i just need the hinges and latch, i slightly pride myself on only using recylced goods to use for my chickens needs like my coop made of pallets which all came from my boyfriends job site. i just had to screw everything together. but the day one of my chickens gets killed i will probably be very upset, i have a huge shed i don't really use that i have considered converting it for the chickens but that's a ton of space for just 2 chickens

8. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Make a clean out door on one end and have a up and down door for your hens you can use a rope to open and close, pretty easy to build.

9. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]this is how I have mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by