Questions about coryza.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buteo4, Nov 11, 2010.

1. buteo4

buteo4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Menominee, MI
    Hello--
    I had posted earlier that I am currently treating my flock for coryza. I have two Polish hens that have severe symtoms, and have noticed minor symptoms in my 2 roos and one or two other hens. I have close to 30 birds of varying breeds. I do not free range because of heavy predation from stray dogs and coyotes but have a large henhouse and run. It is primarily the older birds that are affected. I currently have them on sulfamethoxine, with the two sickest birds segregated from the flock. I will be throughly disinifecting the henhouse and replacing the litter today. Prior to the repiratory infections I was wondering why I was only getting 2 eggs a day despite the girls being under supplemental lighting. Then I discovered lice on some of the hens.
    I believe this all started when I brought 3 new chickens from a fur and feather swap into my flock without quarantine. I read however that recovered birds will always be carriers which can then infect other birds even though they are seemingly healthy. So would quarantining have even mattered if they were asymptomatic carriers (though one did die within a week of purchase)? If this is the case, how can one ever add new birds to their flocks? Should I cull my sick birds even though they may recover? Ethically can I ever sell any of my birds knowing they were exposed? I am tempted to get rid of all but my favorites (even though I love them all!) And start over with all new birds in the spring. I have never culled, and I really don't want to either. My chickens have always been a pleasure to raise, but this is becoming a nightmare!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. buteo4

buteo4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Menominee, MI
    No replies to my original posts but updating anyway. It was a very long day! I removed all the old litter (I have a pretty big henhouse) cleaned out all the nest boxes and then sprayed everything down with bleach solution. I sprinkled DE, then put in all new pine litter. I decided to cull the sick Polish hens as they will always be carriers even if they recover. Thankfully my dear brother took them away for me to do the deed [​IMG] I allowed the flock the rare opportunity to free range today while I attended to the henhouse. They seemed to be very happy, until disaster struck again! My boarder (horses) came late afternoon with her standard poodle and within minutes of jumping out of her car he killed two chickens (a cuckoor Maran and a red frizzle...he had chased a third (EE) into the barn but she escaped). The worst part is that when I picked up the dead frizzle I noticed he had the nasal discharge too and when I carried his body by the feet to the burial site smelly pus started draining out of his mouth! I guess all I can do now is continue with the antibiotics and wait...I've had chickens for years and I've never had such terrible luck...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm so sorry for all you are going through. I, too, have a respiratory thing going on with one of my chickens. I'm hoping it is nothing...praying it is nothing. But I have separated her and started all the flock on antibiotics. I hope things get better for you and your flock soon and I'm very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by