Questions about crops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by williamsl77, Oct 10, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I've been reading about impacted crops, so I decided to go feel my chickens' crops so that I would know what normal crops should feel like. I read that they shouldn't feel too firm or too soft. When feeling my chickens crops, they felt pretty darn firm to me. None of my chickens are acting sick at the moment and I had JUST fed them a treat of tomatoes. They are eating mash (they are 9 weeks old). That being said, they have access to an outside run with a lot of little pebbles, so I have not been giving them grit.

So my question is this... if I feel their crops right after they eat, is it supposed to feel firm? I guess I will know later when I feel their crops when they have not just eaten (and or they start acting sick tomorrow!), but I was wondering if anyone could answer this sooner.

Thanks!!

2. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Answered my own question. Seems a little basic, but yes, crops can feel full after they eat and be fine soon thereafter. Everyone's crop was quite normal this morning.

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    my hens are quite trim and I can see by their shape if their crops are full. So I notice if there;s a problem straight away just by seeing someone who is the 'wrong shape' pre-meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by