Questions about crossing breeds - Black Cocin Roo x ......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CoopedInn, Feb 15, 2015.

1. CoopedInn

CoopedInn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    I've been thinking about letting one of my girls hatch some eggs this spring, and I was wondering about what the chicks would turn out to look like. I have a Black Cochin Roo and my hens are: a Blue Cochin hen, a Splash Cochin hen, a Barred Rock hen, and some Buff Orpington hens.

I believe with the Cochins, I could get any of the following - black, blue, or splash.

I found a post concerning the BC x BR cross, and it seems any barred chicks would be roos, and pullets would most likely be solid black. I assume these would have feathered legs/feet?

Just wondering what I would get from the BC x BO cross - lemon cochins? I saw pictures of a Buff Orp Roo x Black Cochin hen, but was wondering what my cross would produce.

Thanks for any input. These would be my first hatched eggs.

Tony

2. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    Black to Splash will produce all blues, Black to Blue will average half Black and half Blue. You're right ont the BCXBR. BCXBO will give you blacks with a lot of gold leakage, unless your BC is hiding a silver gene. feathering on legs may be sparse.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with the above. When crossing black to buff, nothing is sex linked so which parent is which really doesn't matter. Your chicks will look quite like the pics you saw, with some normal variation for simply being mixed.

Feathered legs are incomplete dominant (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), your chicks will have lightly feathered legs. They'll all be straight combed birds.

4. CoopedInn

CoopedInn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    OK, thanks englishcockers and donrae, good info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by