1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about de-wormers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarbiD, Oct 17, 2016.

1. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    My initial pullets are right about 6 months old now. I have never given them a de-wormer but have read here on many different posts that you should worm every 6 months and Fall and Spring are the best time to do so. I have no reason to believe my girls have worms but if it is the right preventative thing to do, then I will. I've also done research on natural preventions such as pumpkin seeds, which I would prefer to do. I am confused though why Wazine is so highly touted here in several posts since the label says not to give it to "laying hens." Could anyone clear that up for me?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Here is a link with very definitive information about de-worming chickens. I think what they are referring to on the Wazine is there is a 14 day 'don't eat the eggs' period when giving Wazine and certain other de-wormers. I think some folks worm the birds in the fall or winter when laying is slack so not as many eggs are wasted. Here's the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens I cannot attest to the pumpkin seed idea, although I have heard that fresh pumpkin is an effective pig de-wormer...again, it's what I've read - I can't personally vouch.
    Hope the info in the link helps. Best wishes. [​IMG]

3. BarbiD

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    Thank you so much!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have never wormed my Birds....On another post I read it depends on your location...Im in Canada....I wont worm unless I ever see any?...

Good luck..

Cheers!

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    The best thing to do in my opinion is take a fecal sample to a vet and have them test for worms. I do this twice a year.It doesn't need to be an avian or farm vet. My regular dog/cat vet does it for me. I am also in Canada and it doesn't matter where you live...parasites live everywhere. The product that you may use is named differently in different countries. I have never seen worms in my chickens poop and I do inspect. However 2 fecals have returned positive for roundworms. An avian vet told me that by the time you see worms in poop that bird is carrying a dangerous load of worms. I give my birds things like pumpkin seeds, garlic occasionally, ACV occasionally but I do not believe these products repel worms or parasites...I also don't like giving meds if not needed which is why I do fecal screens to see if it is required. Best of luck!

6. annaBsChick

annaBsChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    Herndon, VA
    Another method is to conduct a fecal test -- it is relatively inexpensive and noninvasive way of determining what parasites are actually bothering your chickens, if any. Just a thought, I did it and found I did not even need to worm my chickens. You can get it tested at a nearby veterinary diagnostic lab - here is a list of different labs - http://www.poultrydvm.com/labs.php

7. BarbiD

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    Called my Vet back and they WILL do a fecal test for me...sounded like they didn't really want to but YEAH! Thanks for all the great info and I do not like to treat unless they need it.

8. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Excellent! Yes my vet initially said no but I rhymed off all my chickens names and explained that they were pets and he agreed to :) Doesn't hurt to take in an extra dozen eggs when you visit either ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by