Questions about desiese

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moodlymoo, Nov 15, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I went to look at some chicks today from a breeder in my area. Upon looking at these chicks I realized quickly this was a bad place to be. Most of her chicks had snotty noses, large patches of feathers missing, and bloody poo. She also had medicated water in every pen. After moving from pen to pen I saw a hen who looked like she was doing the splits. I leg in front and one out back. She was real twitchy. I then looked in her outdoor brooder which had some very cute chicks in it but again, some were real twitchy and bloody poo. She had all sorts of birds from quail, pheasants, ducks, pigeons, and a ton of chickens. I got worried and declined any birds, got home, took shoes off before coming into my house, showered, and am worried to go out back to my girls. The breeders pens were all very clean but I am worried about the safety of her birds and glad I didnt buy any. What could have been wrong with them? Some of the birds had a yucky smell too. Is what I saw mareks or cocci or some other illness?

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Goodness!
    It sounds like they had a number of things, I'm glad that you made the right choice and got out of there!

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I felt rude for not buying any and every time she would hand me a chicken to hold or pet I declined. Pretty much kept my hands in my pockets as soon as I noticed the problems. What gets me most is the hen who couldnt stand and legs were going in both directions. I mentioned mareks to her and she said there is nothing that can be done because it is everywhere. Is this true? All my birds are vaccinated for it but is that going to make a difference? Now I want to move everyone into my garage to protect them

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Call the local animal control/SPCA to report abuse.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Wow! Bleach everything before you set foot around your birds!
    Sounds like from what I've read on here a mix of cocci, MS or MG and maybe e.coli.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    What is MG? I am trashing my boots I wore out there. I showered changed clothes, and even went as far as clipping my nails before showering even though I didnt touch any birds. Big case of hebegebees

7. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    MG is: Mcoplasma gallisepticum
    Sounds like you got washed up good! [​IMG]

8. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    If they smelled it could also be coryza.
    I've also read that e.coli can some times act/look like mareks.
    I'm gonna go clean a coop tonight I think it'll make me feel better after reading this thread [​IMG] I already bought new bags of pine shavings!

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:I agree. Smart move throwing the shoes away unless you could have bleached the whole shoe. The one with the 'split' legs sounds like classic Marek's. Please call your humane society as these birds need medical attention right away....

Marek's also has a smell all it's own [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  10. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:I agree. Smart move throwing the shoes away unless you could have bleached the whole shoe. The one with the 'split' legs sounds like classic Marek's. Please call your humane society as these birds need medical attention right away....

Marek's also has a smell all it's own [​IMG]

The best way to describe the smell was fermented nasty beer/baby poo/sour milk vomit [​IMG]

Like I said too all the water was medicated with something greenish. She had ducks/chickens/pheasant/turkeys/pigeons/rabbits/pig/dogs all together. I dont know if they can spread things back and forth but it sure didnt look like a good situation. Like I said too, the pens looked very clean. I am a little hesitant to call animal control but IDK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by