Questions about Double-yolkers, Maran & Serama Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adrian, Nov 27, 2009.

1. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I am about to set 2 serama eggs (weighing in at only 26 and 24 grams respectively), seven normal maran eggs and two double-yolkers that I've decided to try my hand at. I know twin hatches are VERY rare but I've never attempted one before so I thought it would be an educational experience, even if it ends sadly. I wanted to know a few things.

- Do serama eggs need anything different than normal chickens?
    - I have kept my humidity normal for Marans in the past; however some say it needs to be higher. True/false?
    - Should I do anything special with the double-yolkers? Should I lay them on their sides or put in an egg carton?

I was going to incubate them all in an egg carton but I want some feedback. I know most people have improved hatch rates in egg cartons (I myself have hatched eggs in and out and have found my eggs in the egg cartons actually hatched faster and healthier than the others for some reason), but should I do this with serama eggs and double-yolkers? I'm not in the habit of incubating large eggs in cartons, so is it best I keep the double-yolkers on their sides?

I think I will.

Anyway, I will keep everyone in the know about what develops and when! [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I had the total opposite affect hatching in egg carton. The only baby had a very hard time getting out of egg and carton, seemed to struggle alot. One other piped. but it pipped facing the wall of the carton so I think it smothered, The others I am presumming drowned due to a major spike in humidity (my error). I wont use them again. Others do have good rate it just didnt work for me. As for double yolker I wont do that to much responsibility, just for it to die. But good luck with yours I hope all goes well.

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Yeah, I might just incubate on their sides because it is what I am most experienced with - also I can see how they could get smothered by the carton if they pipped in a less than ideal location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by