Questions about duck pools

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 21, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    We at the moment have 2 ducks, I think 1 drake and 1 hen. It has been suggested that we get a couple more hens for the family. How big of a pool do we need for 4 to 5 ducks? How deep should it be? If I set it up and plant some of the tall grasses and such around it to make it look nicer will they just eat everything? Also should the pool be in the sun 100% or try to place it so its 1/2 and 1/2 or build some shelter type thing to create some shade?

thank you

2. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    I've had approximately 7 or so ducks in a larger-kiddie pool at one time- kind of crowded, but they have fun. [​IMG] As far as depth, if you fill the kiddie pool high enough the ducks won't touch bottom. And yes, if you put grass around the pool they will try to eat them. And lastly, some shade is best for a pool, especially if it is a kiddie pool. The plastic becomes brittle when exposed to a lot of sun.

Well, this is my experience with a kiddie pool, anyways! Hope it helps! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks! They have done some remodeling at our elementary school and I can grab the old art sink, its about the same depth of a kiddie pool, I think total size will be about the same but 1 side is flat and has a drain in it, so if we dig a trench and put a pvc pipe drain, we will be able to clean it easier, just wanted to be sure that would work for our number. Guess we will be thinking of how to create a little shade contraption if we need to.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've build decks for the pools. I've used old 2x6 boards I had laying around. Each pool has one deck and 2 stair cases. It is best to put the stairs next to the pool, because the ducks tend to run along side of the pool to find the stairs. This also allows me to change the configurations anytime. I can put two decks together and put a pool on each side. Or run it singular like the large pool with slide. Each step of the stairs is 3.5" high and they move up and down with ease. I've also shown a picture of the drain assembly. I was going to use a shower drain, but the prices for the whole assembly would have been to expensive. I went for a threaded ball valve with a threaded nibble from inside using two large rubber gaskets on each side of the pool. I can get another piece so I can hook up a garden hose. Drain assembly per pool was under 5 dollars each. Now it takes only a few minutes to drain and it will leave about 3/4 inch water on the button, that is easy to lift and I can hose out the rest. In winter I can just move the pools into storage. The big pool is out in an area with little shade. I've basically got some large 8 foot T-posts and bungeed a shade cloth over it. PM me with your private email address, if you like jpg files with instructions on how to build these decks and stairs. Ultra easy to make.
    So here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For those that want to put in a ball valve drain. Here are the parts:
    [​IMG] 3/4" x 1" PVC Male Adapter @ $0.77
    [​IMG] 3/4" Threated PVC Ball Valve @ $3.17
    [​IMG]Two #11 O-Rings (3/4") @ 1.97 for 10 pieces

All pieces are available at Home Depot or other hardware stores. Make sure to cut your hole as tight as possible. Put the Male Adapter with an o-ring inside of the pool, add another o-ring outside and screw on the ball valve. No glue needed. Really simple.

You can also buy a hose adapter, which you can screw into the outer part of the ball valve. This enables you to connect a garden hose to it, so you can have the dirty water discharge anywhere in the garden.
    [​IMG] 3/4 In. x 3/4 In. MPT x MHT (Male Hose Thread) PVC Hose Thread Adapter @ $0.99

The prices given are from Home Depot. They do not include sales taxes. Take this list with you to the hardware store and have someone help you. Make sure they all screw together before you leave.

Remember to fill up your pool once and then mark the location to cut for the drain. The pools have the tendency to pull down a little bit. Do not put it in first and then fill the pool only to find out that you are too low and the valve gets pushed up.

5. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks, Ill send ya the address. Thats the only thing I am worried about is the drain issue, this thing has the drain smack in the center of it, we can trench out an area underneith for a pvc pipe system then hook a hose to that to drain it farther from the pool, but this thing is super heavy so I want to be sure it works before I have the guys move it for me,lol. I may just stick with the kiddie pool ideas, it seems like it may be easier!

6. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    I think I am going to go with a kiddie pool, it seems like it will be easier, are there some types of grasses that ducks don't like? If not I guess we will deal with it,lol. We will be moving so I wanted to get some ideas before we do, so I can have the new areas for our birds set up before we move them, that should be an adventure,lol.

7. beardiemom

beardiemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Western MA
    We just got a temporary tub that we can move around as needed. 3 fit swimmingly, and they are happy taking turns. We have 8 Magpie ducklings that are 11 weeks old.

It is a large Ace utility tub. Sturdier than a kiddie pool.

First post, sorry I don't know how to get a link in for you.

Sharon

8. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Right now they have a big rubber feed tub that I use at the barn for the horses, they are very good about taking turns,lol. I figure this will be good for the winter but I know it wont be good enough for sure next spring. We are heading ou to were we are going to be moving to so we can rough out plans for rund and coops for our bird collection we seem to be getting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by