1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about duckies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoveeDuckee, Apr 22, 2017.

1. LoveeDuckee

LoveeDuckee New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    TEXAS
    I have 5 ducklings that Tractor Supply said were Mallards. They were 1 1/2 weeks old when I got them and I have now had them 8 days. There current age would be approx 2 1/2 weeks. Now the questions:
    1st. What temperature should I keep their indoor swimming pool? The air temp stays around 77 degrees. They have free run of the room they are in. It has a heat lamp mounted at their duck house. And I baby proofed it to keep them out of dangerous places.
    2. Outdoors they have a 20 foot by 24 ft enclosed house also with pool. This house temperature changes with the weather, meaning it got down to 55 degrees in there last night and temperature will rise inside as outside temp climbs. So what temperature do ducks like on the low end and then what is the max temp they are comfortable? Currently they stay inside until I am sure about temperature fluctuation.
    3. Is it normal for them to swim under water a LOT? They seem to do more diving/underwater swimming than top water.
    As you can see most of my questions are about water and temperatures. I have had them a pool since the day I got them and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I worry about them a lot probably too much. I am not sure if they should be left unsupervised at this point.
    Thank you for any help in this area.
    P.S. I am neurotic about the water being clean so it is changed atleast once a day sometimes more. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC @LoveeDuckee your ducklings are adorable. At 2.5 weeks old they should be in temps around 75-80 and no draft. The reason their heat source should be where they can get under if too cool and get away if too warm they will work that out themselves. They should be playing in water at around 80-85* They do love water and isn't it fun to watch them dive under and yes it is normal. lol

Here is some great info on caring and raising ducklings..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

1 person likes this.
  3. LoveeDuckee

LoveeDuckee New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    TEXAS
    @Miss LydiaThanks for the info and the link. I was wondering about later also when they are bigger. What temp are they comfy? I hate to say it but I am so worried about them I was thinking about letting them live in the house and then just go out into the yard, pond, etc supervised. Am I being too overprotective? I converted my greenhouse for them but worried about what heat is too much for them?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's okay to be over protective, but don't worry too much sounds like your doing a good job with them.

Here is the rule of thumb on temps first week is around 85* then each week there after you drop the temp 5* till they are at room temp or outside temp. Once they are completely feathered in they will do fine outside. Do you have a thermometer in your green house if not put one in so you can monitor the temp and make sure it has good ventilation along the top too so heat can go out.

On nice days you can start taking them outside for what I call field trips [Make sure you are in a small area so you can keep them close] Getting them out doors gets them started on getting use to weather and also builds up their immune systems when they are out on the ground.

@LoveeDuckee

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. DancingFawn

DancingFawn New Egg

Apr 22, 2017
    I've learned that my ducks are quite tolerant with the weather and temperature. We keep our ducks outside in a converted wooden playhouse and haven't had a problem with the temperature. We didn't fully move them outside until they had started getting their adult feathers and loosing their downy. We supervised them while they explored the outdoor enclosure until they were old enough to live there. They started off with a heat lamp outside (we moved them out in the fall) and we turned if off early spring. They don't have a heated pond or pool but they are in the pond no matter the temperature or the weather. It probally would depend what the temperature is like where you live to determine if they should live outside in the greenhouse. Your duckies should be in good shape. They look so cute.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by