questions about DUCKS*moved to waterfowl section*

This would probably be better answered in the waterfowl board, jsyk.

All ducks need water to DRINK and wash their eyes/nose to prevent infection, but not all breeds need water to swim in. So depending on the breed, yes you can give them a pool in the summer and then nothing in the winter I suppose.

I don't know about male vs. female temperaments as I have never had a male duck, which is called a drake by the way (females that have laid are still called hens)

Do not mix chickens and ducks together! Chickens need drier environments and ducks make everything wet/moist/humid and will contribute to possible illnesses of your chickens. You can have them on the same property at the same time, but keep them apart from each other. I have the chicken coop elevated about 3 feet and off to the side from the duck pen and that seems to do just fine.

Thanks I was looking for another place to post but didnt see any.

I was intending to get baby ducks at the feed store when i got some more chicks, and had planned on putting them in the brooder together.
What I have is a large corral, which will be opened up for the chickens in the spring. This is where I thought that I would be able to house the ducks along with the chickens, but are you saying no to the corral, or just no to the coops? I can see how seperating them would present a problem, though.

Back
Top Bottom